Questions about Ground Planting

Once early spring arrives wait until the buds begin to push. Then chop and seal. Keep in morning sun and part shade afterwards.

The advice I usually hear for chops is to wait until the foliage hardens off, so that's what I usually do, except for trees chopped at collection. Where OP and I live, near the upper part of the Chesapeake Bay we tend to see the first flush of foliage hardened off in June for most species, so that's when I do most of my chopping. That said, the advice is usually given with respect to maples, where bleeding is a concern. I am interested to see that you suggest an azalea chop earlier in the spring. Is there an advantage to earlier chops, or are you just thinking that OP will want to chop as soon as possible to get things developing as soon as possible?

The advice I usually hear for chops is to wait until the foliage hardens off, so that's what I usually do, except for trees chopped at collection.
One of the many concepts that I am still confused about. I heard one gets better healing (and smaller internodes) when chopped in summer. That said, I do appreciate the rigorous growth that comes from an early spring chop. And then I can angle the cut later in the season. As far as maple bleeding is concerned, it doesn't look great, but I haven't had any issues because of it. Worst I've had is I can't get any cut paste on the wound because it slides off. Curious on what others have to say on the topic. I'm getting ready to do a rather large trunk chop of a dawn redwood next season and was planning on chopping in the spring.

Personally tend to be cautious about these things.

I’ve had great success taking robust landscape raised azaleas, chopping them and putting these back into the ground.

In pots there is slightly less success. I think this is partly due to the fact folks constantly prune potted azaleas. Or the azaleas have gotten old and weak before the plant is chopped.

Just ensure the azaleas you have is fertilized well and watered properly before winter. Then most importantly properly wintered over (see link below).

Once early spring arrives wait until the buds begin to push. Then chop and seal. Keep in morning sun and part shade afterwards.

Since it’s a landscape azalea, and not a heritage piece, wouldn’t worry all that much. Plenty more where they come from.

Cheers
DSD sends
Following these steps, I assume it would be better to plant it in the ground without the soil it had whilst in the pot now, so that it is more cold hardy and so that once it is cut more energy can be sent into new growth, instead of roots once spring turns up?

Following these steps, I assume it would be better to plant it in the ground without the soil it had whilst in the pot now, so that it is more cold hardy and so that once it is cut more energy can be sent into new growth, instead of roots once spring turns up?

No. Don't mess with the roots in the fall. Just winterize and wait till spring.

The advice I usually hear for chops is to wait until the foliage hardens off, so that's what I usually do, except for trees chopped at collection. Where OP and I live, near the upper part of the Chesapeake Bay we tend to see the first flush of foliage hardened off in June for most species, so that's when I do most of my chopping. That said, the advice is usually given with respect to maples, where bleeding is a concern. I am interested to see that you suggest an azalea chop earlier in the spring. Is there an advantage to earlier chops, or are you just thinking that OP will want to chop as soon as possible to get things developing as soon as possible?

Quite right.

For healthy and robust azaleas one can chop just about anytime with decent to indifferent results…. As azaleas usually have either their spring or late summer foliage on.

But to get the very best results - early spring is the way to go. This takes advantage of the full growing year, pushing the robust energy accumulated the past year in the roots and trunk into the remaining visible buds and epicormic buds.

Often wondered about the maple cut back advice in this respect. Why would one waste all the stored energy? I can see the level of the response post cut might be a reason with extremely long internodes. So a layer chip moderates this?

In any event as a robust and healthy azalea properly managed will push buds anywhere one can cut back with an expectation of good results,

Cheers
DSD sends

Would I give it time after planting it to establish before I cut it? Like waiting until growth hardens off as mentioned

Assuming we are still talking about azalea…. as long as the azalea is properly sited and planted ….and makes it through winter safely, (dogs, rabbits etc). an early spring chop should be fine…

That said…I’m not sure there is any benefit gained for ground planting. The plant looks good. Azaleas (quince etc) are one of the few bonsai, that if not slammed into a uber shallow pot, do extremely well in pots…. Especially tokamame training pots.

So I’d keep it as is for now, protect it well and chop next year.

Cheers
DSD sends

Regarding azaleas, in my experience you get the most growth by putting azaleas into ideal potting mix inside a pot of the correct size, considering the root ball. Which would be about 1 to 3 cm in diameter additional soil around the root ball you already have. And the potting mix being peat & perlite roughly 50/50, with some of the peat being true peat at 4.5 pH and some peat being ericaceous potting mix with short term fertilizer. And to that, you add about 5 to 10% pine bark. I use French pine aka Pinus maritima. But other species should be fine as well. And then you add slow acting osmocote. I use the 18 month Lo Start formulation.

You can grow them in the full ground as well. To grow a good trunk, you probably need 10 years. Not just 1 winter. And planting them in the full ground is a low maintenance way. You may still need to manually water, but way less than in the potting solution. And rather than repotting every 2 years or so, all you have to do with ground growing is dig up some plants if they start to crowd into each other/grow into each other. And you need to manage weeds.

As azaleas are shrubs, not trees, they do not put out long or deep roots. Just fine surface roots. Which means they do not need grow bags. And do not need to grow a new root system for a pot, once you decide to dig it up. But that also means it doesn't get to grow out long deep roots in the full ground that it couldn't do when in a pot. The roots of an azalea would be in the top layer of the soil. Which mean that theoretically you could amend the soil of the growing bed to be quite close to ideal in terms of pH, organic matter content, and drainage.

If you put small plants now spaced apart accounting fo the size they would have in 10 years, then there is a lot of bare ground and unshaded space in between them for weeds to grow. But if you place them closer, near ideal for the size of the plants right now, they get crowded in 2 or 3 years, and you need to go in and dig up every second or third plant. And find a new spot for them.

Back
Top Bottom