Question on procumbens "aftercare" following styling.

jkennedy2316

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am practicing on cheap nursery stock. Photo shows me starting to wire but not all styling done yet.

As photo shows, I never took it out of the nursery pot, only cut around the top of to give me some more space to find the trunk. I did have to hack away at about 1/2 inch of small roots before I was confident I had located the trunk/root base. I was very afraid I took it too far. Did i?

If I do not repot - I am assuming that I should not leave the top of the roots exposed like they are. Should I just cover or fill in the spaces where roots are exposed with bonsai soil?

I know its best to wait until Spring to repot for Junipers. I am assuming I should do that considering the significant work I put this tree through. I have read that people can have successs in later summer/early fall. I do live in 8a so I have mildish winters and could provide active aftercare (shade/water monitoring) if I was to go with a full repot.

Any input?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240806_104208_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20240806_104208_Snapchat.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 32
I am practicing on cheap nursery stock. Photo shows me starting to wire but not all styling done yet.
Welcome Aboard BonsaiNut!

First please do us a favor and put your approximate location and USDA Plant Hardiness Zone on your icon so we can help you. Otherwise we are merely shooting in the dark. To do so, please click your icon atop the page, then account details. From here scroll down and enter these data and save. Thanks 😉
As photo shows, I never took it out of the nursery pot, only cut around the top of to give me some more space to find the trunk. I did have to hack away at about 1/2 inch of small roots before I was confident I had located the trunk/root base. I was very afraid I took it too far. Did i?
Likely not. The bending during this time of the year is much more of a worry. Sometimes the cambium slips when this is done now. Bending Junipers is usually done mid fall and later. The bend is relatively minor. Time will tell.

The roots, likely not a huge issue… but together with the bend a slight more concern
If I do not repot - I am assuming that I should not leave the top of the roots exposed like they are. Should I just cover or fill in the spaces where roots are exposed with bonsai soil?
Please do not leave the roots exposed, or cover with bonsai media. Merely pull out the roots from the discarded soil and cover the roots. If that’s not enough to cover, get more.
I know its best to wait until Spring to repot for Junipers. I am assuming I should do that considering the significant work I put this tree through. I have read that people can have successs in later summer/early fall. I do live in 8a so I have mildish winters and could provide active aftercare (shade/water monitoring) if I was to go with a full repot.

Any input?
Please wait to repot. Let the tree grow and do its thing. The number one issue we see on BN is new folks getting a new tree midsummer, pulling it out of a nursery container, then jamming the tree into a tiny pot.

Cheers
DSD sends

Thanks. In my defense, I did attempt to purchase legitimate 1.5/2/2.5 mm copper wire it came in over the weekend nowhere close to that size. I got beginners itch and wanted to start working on this tree so I just used some wire I had around. This was the only photo I had. Is your criticism stemming from the type/size of wire chosen or the way I wired it to a reciprocal branch? Or both??

Welcome Aboard BonsaiNut!

First please do us a favor and put your approximate location and USDA Plant Hardiness Zone on your icon so we can help you. Otherwise we are merely shooting in the dark. To do so, please click your icon atop the page, then account details. From here scroll down and enter these data and save. Thanks 😉

Likely not. The bending during this time of the year is much more of a worry. Sometimes the cambium slips when this is done now. Bending Junipers is usually done mid fall and later. The bend is relatively minor. Time will tell.

The roots, likely not a huge issue… but together with the bend a slight more concern

Please do not leave the roots exposed, or cover with bonsai media. Merely pull out the roots from the discarded soil and cover the roots. If that’s not enough to cover, get more.

Please wait to repot. Let the tree grow and do its thing. The number one issue we see on BN is new folks getting a new tree midsummer, pulling it out of a nursery container, then jamming the tree into a tiny pot.

Cheers
DSD sends
Thanks so much. Just added my city and zone (8a). Could you clarify the bending point at bit more? Are you referring to the cascade bend in the prominent wired branch? If so - the tree already branched out in this style. My wire is barely doing anything in the photo and was only intended to slightly raise the angle of the branch, not bend it on top of itself entirely. Most of the wiring I am doing is just to open up some space between the branches. I am not sure if that qualifies as "structural" wiring of the main trunks, which I haven't done.

In re covering the roots - I am slightly confused by your wording. You said "do not...cover with bonsai media" but then say to pull out discarded soil and cover the roots. Could you clarify if you meant to say I should pull out/trim the exposed roots on surface and then just cover with soil, or something else?

Thanks for adding these data.

That’s the issue with the written word. This wiring information wasn’t clearly stated, so had to assume the bend was made.

Merely reuse the older nursery soil to cover up the roots well.

Looking forward to seeing your future posts. Also please check out the wiring essential videos @SeanS posted.

Cheers
DSD sends

Thanks. In my defense, I did attempt to purchase legitimate 1.5/2/2.5 mm copper wire it came in over the weekend nowhere close to that size. I got beginners itch and wanted to start working on this tree so I just used some wire I had around. This was the only photo I had. Is your criticism stemming from the type/size of wire chosen or the way I wired it to a reciprocal branch? Or both??
All of the above. Get proper wire if you can and watch the full wiring course to learn the basics 👍🏻

Just for future reference.

Copper wiring sizes are not in mm, AWG if I recall correctly. This means the largest wire is the smallest number… and sizes run by even numbers. 2,4,6,8,10…24. Without having this tree in the shop would guess size 10 or 12 would do the trunk job best.

Aluminum wires are labeled in mm, with the smallest wires having the lowest number and half sizes in between 1mm 1.5mm 2mm 2.5mm…8mm

Cheers
DSD sends

Back
Top Bottom