Pumice: Which should I order in bulk for resale? Photo inside.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Pumice question: Which grade of pumice (see photo) would you buy if you were to walk up to my table?

Last year's supplier had large particles that didn't sell very well. There was little dust and little work to package it.
The new, potential, supplier has smaller particles, but I lose 10-15% when sifting it. Packaging for sale is more work with the new supplier.

I'm a small seller who sells at bonsai meetings and bonsai events. Storage space is limited to only 1 pallet of pumice.

Looking for advice before investigating pricing and shipping.

IMG_9224.JPEG

Bill there are a few sources for 3/8", I think the 1/4" will be the way to go as well.
I don't even know if the mine will sell me one pallet and ship it out. My backyard can only handle one more pallet of aggregate. Currently I have three: red lava, black lava, haydite. I can still make a profit if the shipping is under $800. It won't be an exciting profit, however. I'd go pick it up myself, but round trip is 2400 miles, 4 days, 150-170 gallons of gas. I'll pack an ice chest, make some sandwiches, sleep in the truck. All for one stinking pallet. These people in south Louisiana better buy this crap.

I'd go pick it up myself, but round trip is 2400 miles, 4 days, 150-170 gallons of gas. I'll pack an ice chest, make some sandwiches, sleep in the truck. All for one stinking pallet. These people in south Louisiana better buy this crap.
LOL, I am considering a drive myself... there is a place in Arizona Acme Sand and Gravel that charges $99 per yard of 1/4 - minus with around 20% fines that I can get to in a 2 day round trip. But that will save me around $100 so not worth me driving a 30 hour round trip just for that.

Last time I check for the 3/8" a yard tote was around $220 and shipping was close to $350, that is from CO to central TX. So far it is the cheapest shipped, but the particle size is definitely too big for small bonsai, around 5/16-3/8" most of it. Very little in the 1/4" size.

Back
Top Bottom