Prunus mume stock from Evergreen Gardenworks

Closer up...
7F26EFFE-2486-4942-8D3D-D6876F2C5FC2.jpeg
After leaves were removed, and a little light pruning. Next spring, it will be wired and repotted, maybe into its first bonsai pot. The photo really doesn’t show all the trunk wiggle, but it has turned out well.
B76C8F69-A9C5-46AF-9BC6-EF64EFC150D7.jpeg

Hey Brian. I love the progress of this tree - really good documentation and explanation of the journey from a young tree to the wonderful trunk line you have now developed. Quick question, if I may, regarding how you managed the tree when it was in the ground; did you lift it each year to trim the roots? Or did you just leave it in the ground untouched?

I bought an Ume a couple of years ago and left it in a pot and it grew reasonably. When I spotted this thread last year and saw that you planted yours in the ground, I did the same with mine - and I'm amazed at how much it grew - possibly 6ft-7ft extensions! Some of these shoots came from back buds from the precious year that sprouted on the trunk and grew like they were on steroids! Should I be cutting these "trunk" shoots off in case they damage my trunk line? Should I lift it in spring to cut its roots back in case they get too big? Or will it be ok to leave it in the ground for 2 or 3 years before worrying about the roots getting out of control.

Many thanks.

Andy

...the tree when it was in the ground; did you lift it each year to trim the roots? Or did you just leave it in the ground untouched?
... Should I be cutting these "trunk" shoots off in case they damage my trunk line? Should I lift it in spring to cut its roots back in case they get too big? Or will it be ok to leave it in the ground for 2 or 3 years before worrying about the roots getting out of control.
Thanks, glad you enjoy the progression. I left it in the ground, not digging it up for 4-5 years. I may have used a spade to sever roots in a 12” radius around the trunk once, but I really can’t remember. 2-3 years shouldn’t cause many problems if the roots are arranged correctly before you put it in the ground.

I would not leave the strong shoots on the trunk very long if you aren’t using them in the final design. Mume don’t heal wounds well, so I have had good luck growing sections of trunk with one sacrifice leader at a time, and keeping all other shoots trimmed short for styling options later. It also helps keep the trunk tapering well without bulges.

Brilliant! Thanks Brian. Is it OK to cut those shoots on the trunk now? Or should I wait til next spring? When I put this in the ground, I placed it on a board and spread the roots out so that should be ok then?

Thanks again

Brilliant! Thanks Brian. Is it OK to cut those shoots on the trunk now? Or should I wait til next spring? When I put this in the ground, I placed it on a board and spread the roots out so that should be ok then?

Thanks again
Yes

Closer up...
View attachment 342892
After leaves were removed, and a little light pruning. Next spring, it will be wired and repotted, maybe into its first bonsai pot. The photo really doesn’t show all the trunk wiggle, but it has turned out well.
View attachment 342893
What cut paste do you use? Your cuts had healed great!

What cut paste do you use? Your cuts had healed great!
this one:
6115BDAD-EB72-48B8-B24B-3D3202E72C5F.jpeg

this one:
View attachment 343071
I guess I should clarify is the white tub with a green lid or the white with red? The one that highlighted and whats showing in the picture you posted are two different items.

It’s the white tube with the red cap, though I have seen it in yellow tubes with green caps too.

Man I am so jealous right now because I still have a few weeks of winter and I am desperately waiting to repot my two trees. This thread was a great help and thank you for sharing so much details. It’s going to look awesome.
Michael

You’ve done a great job ramifying, keeping that growth nice and tight

Amazing trunk line. You have really handled the subject tree's development with skill and aplomb. :cool:

Surely in the future as it develops, it'll put it's sibling in the garden to shame.🤔😏

Back
Top Bottom