Prunus Dulcis(Almond) - Whip From Seed In Training

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Snacked on a few almonds from a grove in a central CA over a year ago. Threw some in the ground.
I know they aren’t an ideal species for bonsai, so I’m experimenting. When I wired it last year I tried to get movement in all directions.
The branches set up nicely, however, I need one branch down lower. Do these bud on old wood?
2A979949-07B8-406B-84CF-77D5AA3D9B03.jpegF281424F-9805-4E16-9600-2F85308848CD.jpeg9A785CF8-D7EC-4A37-97EB-5980F89BCD56.jpeg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I had a grafted one for a couple years and it didn't really bud back at all. But it wasn't growing happily either; I never really gave a hoot about it. Cool flowers in spring though!

Grafting scions lower on the trunk seems like a good move to me, but it's better to hear what the others have to say.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Almond, Prunus dulcis (aka Prunus amygdalus) is in the subgenus Amygdalus along with culinary peach and culinary nectarine, which it vegetatively resembles. As bonsai the leaves do not reduce well, and internodes tend to be long, though can be kept moderate. Most used for bonsai are old orchard trees that have been dug up for bonsai, not normally raised from seed for bonsai. These orchard harvested trees are usually used to make medium to tall bonsai, mainly to show off the beautiful spring flowers. The rest of the year it has little to recommend it beyond character you can wire into its shape.

Full sun or near full sun, and you should get back budding at least until bark develops on the lower trunk. Maybe 8 weeks after it leafs out in spring, do your hard prune, eliminate all terminal growing points. This release of hormones should stimulate back budding, if not the current, possibly the following year. The tree needs to be vigorously growing in order for this technique to work. A weak tree won't back bud.

If you want almonds for fruit hanging in the tree in autumn for bonsai display, you will need another almond from a different seed. The almond tree is not self fertile. Like certain cherries, almonds require outcrossing to produce seed.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think the flowers and their scent are the best part of almond trees. Fruit is tasty too but from seed you might get a bitter almond instead.

They love sun and heat. Keep an eye on their growth because it can be leggy.

Top Bottom