Procumbens Nana #1

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
#1 because I guess I should start numbering things...

Splitting off from my threadless thread here:

Last image from late may:

PXL_20230524_153922450.MP~2.jpg

Current:

PXL_20230712_002557446.MP~2.jpg

Growing well, so will probably do some more branch selection and thinning in the coming days; wiring in the fall.

Just about shohin size, so I'll try to keep it there.

That is an impressive amount of growth. A very happy little tree!

I wonder if you're still playing with the angle. the first photos angle is really nice.

Fantastic taper! That’s gonna be a killer tree in no time.

That is an impressive amount of growth. A very happy little tree!

I wonder if you're still playing with the angle. the first photos angle is really nice.

I've been playing with the angle. Struggling to find a position where it looks good and the third section isn't completely vertical.

We'll see.

I've been playing with the angle. Struggling to find a position where it looks good and the third section isn't completely vertical.

We'll see.
Looks like a great opportunity to invest in a jack. Also, that's a superb trunk!

Looks like a great opportunity to invest in a jack. Also, that's a superb trunk!
Thanks; not bad for <$20 at the box store, and 30 minutes looking like a weirdo digging in pots and feeling up trunks.

Edit: actually, to be fair, the price was a bit higher. It was that session looking at trees that I learned I get contact dermatitis from getting poked be pointy things...

If you ever want your money back...

Seriously, a jack and guy wire w/ that low jin on the left could reposition the near-vertical quite effectively. The way the trunk line is, you could likely get it to move pretty well w/ rebar (and that guy wire I was mentioning) ...but why waste an excuse to buy a new tool?!

I'm curious as to what sort of jack you're thinking of for this application. Like one of those branch bender devices?

I like it! Chubby little cutie.
Post a picture with something else for for context? I feel like I don't have a very good idea of it's relative size. Next update is soon enough.

I'm curious as to what sort of jack you're thinking of for this application. Like one of those branch bender devices?

Some folks just naturally go above and beyond :)
Nice trunk
Struggling to find a position where it looks good and the third section isn't completely vertical.
What if that were sacrifice, and the vertical shoot to its left were the leader?
Would induce more taper...sorry, never mind I just saw that you jinned it.

What if that were sacrifice, and the vertical shoot to its left were the leader?
Would induce more taper...sorry, never mind I just saw that you jinned it.

I did consider that, but didn't have a good branch on the right. I'll probably need a new leader someday anyway, if I want to keep it a true shohin.

Spring update - filling back out. I was planning on putting it in a actual pot this year, but decided to give it another year in the mica pot (or I just didn't get to it ;) ).

Half of the back branch died over winter, so it's a little thin, but otherwise healthy.

1000003776.jpg

And considering I didn't include an original nursery stock photo in this thread, here was where we started in May of 2022 (only repotted, and thinned slightly):

PXL_20220516_153115763.MP.jpg

PXL_20220516_163401472.jpg

My wife tells me we're roadtripping up north this summer, if you want to offload this one...

I like where its headed. Still think bending the vertical (and twisting while you bend) would really complete this tree. Glad to see pronanas getting some love.

My wife tells me we're roadtripping up north this summer, if you want to offload this one...

If only I had more than a handful of trees in or nearing refinement.

I like where its headed. Still think bending the vertical (and twisting while you bend) would really complete this tree. Glad to see pronanas getting some love.

Thanks. I'll probably try to get more of a bend in there this fall.

Back
Top Bottom