Preparing Junipers For Collection

With as lanky as they are, I would think air-layer would be your best bet.
Edit: hard to see but there could be some foliage down there near the base.. so maybe first airlayer a couple, and dig a couple up as is. You could cut the runners.

With as lanky as they are, I would think air-layer would be your best bet.
Edit: hard to see but there could be some foliage down there near the base.. so maybe first airlayer a couple, and dig a couple up as is. You could cut the runners.
There is a bulb of scraggly juvenile foliage at the base of each. The thought had crossed my mind to air layer when I first saw them, but they're likely being removed one way or another soon. I might think about it once they're in pots. I'd have to clean them up some to be sure what I'm working with.

Which I guess means I have made my decision on the original question: dig 'em then mess with 'em.

Does she have a rifle?!

The one with the low foliage looks worth bothering with.

Sorce

Does she have a rifle?!
🤣 Pair of loppers in that pic actually.

Actually, my greatest fear right now is that they might have some trunk length left under the surface. Guess I'll find out soon enough. ;) 'Tis what 'tis, 'twill be what 'twill be.

And the chainsaw wielding wife is more of a funniest home videos thing.

My sister owns and uses a chain saw. Her late husband had a bad heart after several heart attacks and couldnt do a lot of heavy work so she had to do it and she can cut logs and trees as well as anyone besides a lumberjack.
If I had to use one, I would too. Just because one is female does not mean one can not use power tools. Although I agree it is atypical

My sister owns and uses a chain saw. Her late husband had a bad heart after several heart attacks and couldnt do a lot of heavy work so she had to do it and she can cut logs and trees as well as anyone besides a lumberjack.
If I had to use one, I would too. Just because one is female does not mean one can not use power tools.
And I served a tour in Iraq with women who could take half the men I've ever met arm wrestling.
It's not that she's female, it's that she's not good at it, doesn't learn, and does it in a moomoo and sandels. Can't change it, love her anyway, so I laugh.

Dug and trimmed the tall one this afternoon. Here's hoping I didn't kill it. Feels like I took off a bit too much root, but then I also took off a good chunk of foliage.
KIMG0586.JPG
Found some nice angles in the trunk that were hidden below the ground.
KIMG0592.JPG
And after some trimming.

Still all juvenile foliage, but hopefully that means it'll backbud easily and give me some nice thick pads in a couple years. Haven't settled on a particular style yet, and there will definitely be more cutting down the road. For now let's see how it likes it's new home.

Back
Top Bottom