premna

eugene brown

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought his premna in the fall and in short, it wasnt getting enough light and most of the leaves fell off. The situation has been corrected and new leaves are coming back in. I thought i would ask about styling advice since we can see most of the branches. I dont plan on completing the style until Spring.

Personally I dont think much needs to be done with the exception of removing a couple of branches. But I'm very new and would like the advice of someone more seasoned.

20170202_121819.jpg 20170202_121809.jpg 20170202_121835.jpg 20170202_121828.jpg

You definitely need to take this to a workshop and get a hands-on opinion. You have branches going every which way and it looks like it's just been "hedge trimmed" recently. It appears to be a decent piece of material but it has probably never been properly pruned for bonsai. You need to do some initial branch selection and then a massive thinning out. If you belong to a club I would start there and get some advice. Good luck and keep us posted on its progress.

You definitely need to take this to a workshop and get a hands-on opinion. You have branches going every which way and it looks like it's just been "hedge trimmed" recently. It appears to be a decent piece of material but it has probably never been properly pruned for bonsai. You need to do some initial branch selection and then a massive thinning out. If you belong to a club I would start there and get some advice. Good luck and keep us posted on its progress.

Right on.

Two questions? Where do you live in the Country and how thick is the diameter of the trunk? Looks to be not more than an inch? Inch and a half at the base...

Reason for me asking is that if you live in a climate such as I, that being Florida... I would recommend this spring putting it in the ground. I leave mine in the nursery pot, and bury it to almost the rim of the pot.

I suggest this due to the fact that Premna are extremely fast growing when the roots hit the soil. In a year or two, you will end up with a trunk about twice the size if not more.

I wouldn't concern myself with any branching on the tree... just let it grow. After you thicken up the trunk you will want to remove it all anyways, due to all the nodes being to far spaced.

Am I right in assuming you got this from Wigert's? A year ago I picked up a whole trunk full of these and are now growing them all out.

Last edited:
p45.jpg

88b01b5d5292452d57a573dac8358830.jpg

Dude just order one from Wigerts. It will be just like this one for $25

That would kill the experience!

Besides, I'm only looking for a tree I can grow in a beer cap!

Sorce

Two questions? Where do you live in the Country and how thick is the diameter of the trunk? Looks to be not more than an inch? Inch and a half at the base...

Reason for me asking is that if you live in a climate such as I, that being Florida... I would recommend this spring putting it in the ground. I leave mine in the nursery pot, and bury it to almost the rim of the pot.

I suggest this due to the fact that Premna are extremely fast growing when the roots hit the soil. In a year or two, you will end up with a trunk about twice the size if not more.

I wouldn't concern myself with any branching on the tree... just let it grow. After you thicken up the trunk you will want to remove it all anyways, due to all the nodes being to far spaced.

Am I right in assuming you got this from Wigert's? A year ago I picked up a whole trunk full of these and are now growing them all out.

Yes it came from Weigerts. Unfortunately, i dont live in Florida. It does get hot and humid for three months in ohio. Perhaps i could put it in the ground for that amount as a larger trunk would be desirable.

Looks like nice material. They are fun to work with and can be pruned back hard. I would remove and thin most to all of the small branches and work on building a few defined pads.
Keep the cutting as they root very easily. I have a bunch of cutting I started a few months ago and they grow like crazy.

But I'm very new and would like the advice of someone more seasoned.

That would be a very nice start on a decent plant. It will require work, and then some more work, but I see a good one in there. I would strongly recommend as some stated to take it to someone for guidance as these things require specific steps and understanding which you can learn quickly hands on.
If you lived closer I would tell you to bring it over in the Spring and work with you on it for free so I am certain there might be someone you might already know there. If not, club memberships are normally quite inexpensive.

Welcome to B-Nut!

Grimmy

@eugene brown - You are not far from Columbus, OH, they have a nice small relatively active club. They usually meet 3rd Sunday of month at Franklin Park Conservatory at 2 pm. Their details are on Facebook. Cincinnati also has a good club. You can attend a few meetings before you have to decide to join.

@sawgrass gave you some good advice. But I would keep it in a pot, outside for warm months and indoors for cooler weather. Keep it in a larger pot while training and growing it out. Once byou move it to a bonsai pot, growth will slow dramatically.

You have a nice tree. If the trunk is as fat in diameter as you would like you can start pruning. For a finished bonsai in the 8 to 12 inch tall range I would shoot for more than 2 inches diameter. Measure it now, so you can make plans.

If you want a larger diameter trunk, don't prune much, just move it too a larger pot and let it grow.

Back
Top Bottom