Pre hurricane Helene

Wish I could say that. We’ve already gotten 11” of rain and Asheville is predicted to get 6-10” more with winds gusting 40-60 mph. I expect to lose power and internet for 1 day to a week! I have the small trees in the greenhouse and the big stuff on the ground.

cannot believe how many hurricanes hit the US south coast now that I am paying attention.
We generally aren’t affected by them up here in the mountains as they generally track along the east coast. But about once every 10 years one manages to sneak up on us and really dump on us. Fortunately, I do not live next to a stream or on a hillside, but do have to worry with falling trees—my back yard is full of them! The good thing is the winds will come in out of the SE and the majority of big trees are on the west and north side of the house. We mainly lose power due to trees taking down lines elsewhere in the area.

If it were my trees I'd lay them down and give them some cover... I pray for your success!
I did move the two on the top shelf down to the ground, they are all getting a good shower and breeze.
I was also told by the experts a while back that my bald cypress would make good “storm damaged” form trees. I don’t know how to do this so, if any are damaged I can only assume that’s kind of the natural way.

My button wood should be able to take a good soak and beating. The olives and bougainvillea may get moved to the garage

I was also told by the experts a while back that my bald cypress would make good “storm damaged” form trees. I don’t know how to do this so, if any are damaged I can only assume that’s kind of the natural way.
I think a lot of the "flat top" BCs are because hurricanes have broken the tops off. I assume the flat top style is what they were referring to.

Wish I could say that. We’ve already gotten 11” of rain and Asheville is predicted to get 6-10” more with winds gusting 40-60 mph. I expect to lose power and internet for 1 day to a week! I have the small trees in the greenhouse and the big stuff on the ground.
Hopefully you won't have any damage, stay safe.

I just went out and got the rest of my material on the ground. It was a lot of effort for the quality of material, but I didn't want to risk them becoming projectiles and launching into my other trees. There's SO MUCH RAIN already. A local river that's normally @ 2-3' is @ 17'. The record's like 20'. They're predicting it'll go to 30+. It will be interesting to see what 50 & 60mph gusts do with that much rain.

I just went out and got the rest of my material on the ground. It was a lot of effort for the quality of material, but I didn't want to risk them becoming projectiles and launching into my other trees. There's SO MUCH RAIN already. A local river that's normally @ 2-3' is @ 17'. The record's like 20'. They're predicting it'll go to 30+. It will be interesting to see what 50 & 60mph gusts do with that much rain.
Yeah I just got news my parents house may be flooding and they city closed access to the island by raising both bridge access’ so I’m considering taking a kayak across to try and minimize damage

This thing is massive. Just watching the storms progress and hoping the big trees around here stay put.

IMG_0400.jpeg

Helene is moving fast, should be gone soon. Just received a public service announcement.IMG_0406.jpeg
IMG_0405.jpeg

Man. The eye of it passed by here about an hour ago. We’re back in the wind portion but at least the unnatural amount of rain seems to have abated. So far we’ve got two large trees down and power finally gave out (after I’d made my cup of coffee) but no real damage. Neighbor had one come down on her in the living room but she assures me she was able to get herself out from under it without too much work. Trees are down all over and my in-laws house is flooding. Hope to be able to get out in just a bit to assess further.

Attachments

• IMG_3301.jpeg
    IMG_3301.jpeg
    416.3 KB · Views: 95
Yeah I just got news my parents house may be flooding and they city closed access to the island by raising both bridge access’ so I’m considering taking a kayak across to try and minimize damage
Hope you are okay seemed like the surge and worst winds came after the eye had passed that night. It says you haven't logged in.

I have several cousins and my sister in Western North Carolina who have not been reachable by phone, cell or internet since Friday. Other cousins don't have power and roads are impassable.

Back
Top Bottom