Potting mix for citrus

JonOslo

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, I am new in this group. I need help for mixing a peat free potting soil based on avsilable products, as acadama, for instance is not available where I live. I am growing citrus trees in large containers - 10-20 gallons (30-100 Liters) or more. Peat based mixes tend to be too water retentive in my climate, especially in the winter which is long, dark and cold, and when plants tend to get root rot. I keep my plants in a frost free concervatory. I have experimented with different DIY mixes of pumice, bark, and peat, with some succsess, although mixes tend to be to wet in the winter.
Citrus trees are heavy feeders and need much water and nutrition in the summer. At the same time very good drainage and aeration is essential. I wish to make a peat free pottingmix for my trees based on (some of) the following products:
Pine bark (raw, 1/4’’), Pumice (2-8mm), Pumice 10-20mm), Scoria (type of lava rock, 2-8mm, Biochar 1/4-1/2’’, and maybe perlite 2-6mm ( only if needed).
Can any of you guys help me with suggestions to a mix I can make myself, that has good water and nutrient retention, and drainage and aeration at the same time, that is not easily overwatered?

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello, I am new in this group. I need help for mixing a peat free potting soil based on avsilable products, as acadama, for instance is not available where I live. I am growing citrus trees in large containers - 10-20 gallons (30-100 Liters) or more. Peat based mixes tend to be too water retentive in my climate, especially in the winter which is long, dark and cold, and when plants tend to get root rot. I keep my plants in a frost free concervatory. I have experimented with different DIY mixes of pumice, bark, and peat, with some succsess, although mixes tend to be to wet in the winter.
Citrus trees are heavy feeders and need much water and nutrition in the summer. At the same time very good drainage and aeration is essential. I wish to make a peat free pottingmix for my trees based on (some of) the following products:
Pine bark (raw, 1/4’’), Pumice (2-8mm), Pumice 10-20mm), Scoria (type of lava rock, 2-8mm, Biochar 1/4-1/2’’, and maybe perlite 2-6mm ( only if needed).
Can any of you guys help me with suggestions to a mix I can make myself, that has good water and nutrient retention, and drainage and aeration at the same time, that is not easily overwatered?
Hi there im by no means a master at citrus but I do have alot of them. I have a lemon forest, a solo lemon, a grapefruit, some tangerine, and a lemon tree I am trying to grow as a full sized tree.

I personally use 50/50 of sifted perlite and sifted oil dri. To that mixture I add about 10 - 20% orchid bark and for the citrus I usually throw in some potting soil or compost.

Top Bottom