Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hello, hoping for some advice or even just a diagnosis. I collected two Bald Cypress trees this season. The first tree seems to be doing okay but the larger one I am worried about.

It was recommended to me that I not water every day since this can cause root rot.

I tried this tactic but the large tree is far behind the smaller and only produces a few buds near the soil line. Only one on the trunk where I chopped off a branch it had upon collection. Hoping it’s just taking some time but worried I’m doing something wrong or the trunk may have died.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_8507.jpeg
    IMG_8507.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_8509.jpeg
    IMG_8509.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8512.jpeg
    IMG_8512.jpeg
    393.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8513.jpeg
    IMG_8513.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 76

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello, hoping for some advice or even just a diagnosis. I collected two Bald Cypress trees this season. The first tree I collected seems to be doing okay but the larger one I am worried about.

It was recommended to me that I not water every day since this can cause root rot.

I tried this tactic but the large tree is far behind the smaller and only produces a few buds near the soil line. Only one on the trunk where I chopped off a branch it had upon collection. Hoping it’s just taking some time but worried I’m doing something wrong or the trunk may have died.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Patience. Don't worry about root rot. Wet is better than dry for recently collected BC

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Patience. Don't worry about root rot. Wet is better than dry for recently collected BC
Thank you, I regret the days I changed tactics and didn’t water them. It didn’t seems to negatively effect the smaller tree but was concerned it stunted the larger. I will keep watering both daily as I was and keep hoping I haven’t done irreversible damage. I’m new to this and still figuring it out so really appreciate the advice.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This may be a dumb question but should the larger tree be watered a significant amount longer than the smaller? Seems like that trunk would need more. I tried the “scratch test” I read about here and did not see green on trunk

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This may be a dumb question but should the larger tree be watered a significant amount longer than the smaller? Seems like that trunk would need more. I tried the “scratch test” I read about here and did not see green on trunk
It doesn't really depend on the size of the tree. It depends on the soil volume the tree is in. Larger the volume, the slower it dries out.

If there is no green, it's a goner, sorry. I would, however, not throw it out just yet. I usually wait until early summer before I am certain a tree is dead. keep watering, see what happens. If nothing does, you've learned a lesson or two about what works for collecting and what doesn't.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I was worried about that but do still see 2 green buds on the larger tree. One near the soil level and one at a branch collar I cut off after collection. If it were dead would this still be green?

I also did not scratch very deep, considering taking a pocket knife to it now and seeing if there’s anything going on a little deeper. Sad news

Attachments

• IMG_8506.jpeg
    IMG_8506.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8511.jpeg
    IMG_8511.jpeg
    345.4 KB · Views: 79
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thank you, I’m not going to give up hope yet. Although I didn’t see green in the scratch test I’m going to do as you recommend and see where it’s at in a few months. Hopefully I’m not watering a dead stump 🤞🏻

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was worried about that but do still see 2 green buds on the larger tree. One near the soil level and one at a branch collar I cut off after collection. If it were dead would this still be green?

I also did not scratch very deep, considering taking a pocket knife to it now and seeing if there’s anything going on a little deeper. Sad news
The best thing you can do with newly collected trees is to leave them the F alone 😁 Stop worrying about it, keep them watered and be patient. Any buds on the trunk are a good sign. Repeated cutting into the trunk isn't going to help anything. Stand back, wait. and wait some more. Recovery can take months. Cool out bruh😁

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Wise words. I gave up other “plants” for Lent this year so am significantly less “chill” than I normally am, this could be contributing to my mother hen type behavior. I’ll just water them daily and start reading a new book.
Cormac’s Blood Meridian has been on my list.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wise words. I gave up other “plants” for Lent this year so am significantly less “chill” than I normally am, this could be contributing to my mother hen type behavior. I’ll just water them daily and start reading a new book.
On my list too. Just finished "No Country for Old Men" Movie was good, book is better. Can't be McCarthy's dialogue.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
On my list too. Just finished "No Country for Old Men" Movie was good, book is better. Can't be McCarthy's dialogue.
One of my favorite movies. I stick to the older stuff, won’t get into specific details why but the general reason is I’ve found it nearly impossible to watch a modern movie without there being some attempt at pushing a fringe moral message. Tired of being lectured by freaks.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
That is a first I've seen! :D
I would give up eating 3 days a week before I give up "plants"

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
That is a first I've seen! :D
I would give up eating 3 days a week before I give up "plants"
Well, it’s really only one specific plant 😮‍💨
Regarding giving up eating, I’ve got macros to hit so unfortunately not an option. The butchers joke I have a tiger at home to feed because I’m currently at 2lbs of steak a day

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Smaller, earlier collected tree seems to be doing well. I wasn’t sure what “when the buds pop” meant regarding moving it to more sun but after seeing the changes this week I think I understand.
I bought a 50% shade cloth I plan to put on my makeshift shade house instead of the tarp I have now.

Watering both once a day until they have standing water that eventually drains.

Attachments

• IMG_8571.jpeg
    IMG_8571.jpeg
    301.5 KB · Views: 77

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I just have one question, to help identify potential root cause for one doing so much better than the other - were both trees covered up during transport after collection? i.e. not exposed to highway wind speeds in the back of a pickup truck?

I'm only asking because I had a novice collector leave a bunch of BC exposed on the drive from LA to TX and anything exposed was dried out and didn't make it, other than a few buds down low.

Otherwise, I agree with the above advice to just be patient and see what happens. Some of my collected BC in Houston didn't pop buds until March - partial sun and plenty of moisture.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I just have one question, to help identify potential root cause for one doing so much better than the other - were both trees covered up during transport after collection? i.e. not exposed to highway wind speeds in the back of a pickup truck?

I'm only asking because I had a novice collector leave a bunch of BC exposed on the drive from LA to TX and anything exposed was dried out and didn't make it, other than a few buds down low.

Otherwise, I agree with the above advice to just be patient and see what happens. Some of my collected BC in Houston didn't pop buds until March - partial sun and plenty of moisture.

Great question and something I’ve wondered about. I couldn’t fit the whole tree in my 4Runner so rolled the back window down and did take the interstate home but the rootball was covered in a black trash bag.

Attachments

• IMG_8112.jpeg
    IMG_8112.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8111.jpeg
    IMG_8111.jpeg
    335.5 KB · Views: 61
Top Bottom