chuckyblack09

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am posting a new thread for this just to have more people take a look and provide input. I am thinking I may be dealing with a possible fungal infection of this field grown trident maple that I repotted last Thursday. What do you all think?

Most of the leafed out growth has blackened tips and is either wilted or dried out. There are a few smaller leaves that have opened fully and one (I've included a picture) has a few darker spots on it that I just noticed today. Also almost all the new buds it's pushing seem to have darker tips. Not necessarily black, but reddish brown.

If we are thinking this is a fungal infection, what do you recommend I use to try and treat and how do I treat? Truly appreciate all help and input on this.

Attachments

• PXL_20240318_152703208.jpg
    PXL_20240318_152703208.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20240318_161426530.jpg
    PXL_20240318_161426530.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20240318_161455524.jpg
    PXL_20240318_161455524.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20240318_161536392.jpg
    PXL_20240318_161536392.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20240320_174209237.jpg
    PXL_20240320_174209237.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20240320_174420138.jpg
    PXL_20240320_174420138.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 38

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tree was bare rooted five days ago. It is normal to expect some stress particularly if the weather is cooler and it is opening faster because it came from a much warmer region. Starting a new thread just confuses the issue and removes important background information with respect to the condition in my opinion.
The first leaves to open look better than the later shoots, to me that indicates recent root stress and or cold issues on new buds. I would advise protection form colder temperatures and patience. Allow the tree to recover from recent work. Aftercare is the key at this point.
best of luck.

chuckyblack09

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tree was bare rooted five days ago. It is normal to expect some stress particularly if the weather is cooler and it is opening faster because it came from a much warmer region. Starting a new thread just confuses the issue and removes important background information with respect to the condition in my opinion.
The first leaves to open look better than the later shoots, to me that indicates recent root stress and or cold issues on new buds. I would advise protection form colder temperatures and patience. Allow the tree to recover from recent work. Aftercare is the key at this point.
best of luck.
The blackness on some of the tips of the leaves isn't of concern? I guess I'm not really finding any information online linking blackened leaf tips/withering with ground transplanting/repotting is why I am concerned.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The blackness on some of the tips of the leaves isn't of concern?
Based on the pictures it appears to me to be as a result of the issues I mentioned. That is the best answer I can give you based on my experience and training. The use of photos to differentiate between abiotic stress and biotic stress is not always he best course of action. Can you take the tree to a local experienced Bonsai person who can examine it in person? Perhaps the people who helped you with the repot.

Maples are very sensitive to frost and changes in climatic conditions. This tree was stressed with the removal from the ground, transport, bare rooting and change in climatic conditions. I would expect some abiotic stress to be showing. Could that lead to fungal issues? Yes it could.

I believe the best you can do at this point is provide proper aftercare .
If anyone in your local area has a copy of Meriggioli's book. Bonsai Maples you can read chapter 15 ( pathologies affecting Maples) . He clearly discusses both abiotic and biotic stress along with pictures to help identify common issues.

As a precaution clean and disinfect your scissor before and after use! remove the affected leaves. Monitor the new growth to see if the leaves continue to show damage or it gradually improves. By removing the affected parts it is easier to note the rate of change. The amount of work that was done over the period of time and the change in location could easily account for what you have described and the pictures show.
Best of luck moving forward.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My first thought was cold damage, though zooming in on the leaves almost looks like thrips 1000010470.jpg

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I have found tridents to be very sensitive to cold and wet conditions after repotting but in this case I tend to agree with Shohin branches...these leaves look to be damaged by sucking bugs...an even more common problem with recently repotted and freshly budding out maples. Always difficult at best to diagnose from photos...Rivers Edge suggestion to find someone local with more experience to take a closer look is a good recommendation.

chuckyblack09

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
After further inspection what is thought to be thrips seems to just be a glare/reflection the camera picked up. I don't see that on any of the leaves in person.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Meriggioli's book. Bonsai Maples you can read chapter 15 ( pathologies affecting Maples) . He clearly discusses both abiotic and biotic stress along with pictures to help identify common issues.

next book purchase.. lol

Top Bottom