Portulacaria Afra choices.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello guys! First Post ever here, so be gently (or not) i can stand it :p.

I got a purchase of a Portulacaria Afra (not my first) but this one is a lot bigger and more a challenge then my little one before.

Saw this one and it was that cheap, I thought this could be a good bonsai candidate. But its like I said for myself challenging because im a bit afraid of cutting too much or doing a completely mess to that friend.
Anyway i got time till spring to think about this and here comes Bonsainut in place. I thought i could get some Ideas - impressions from you guys no matter how drastic or weird your idea to it is😄.

If you wonder what is that pot?! The courier broke the pot and it was a rather unusual oval length this pot
and at this time of the year i don't want to work on "repotting or the roots" so I just put it in a bigger one, flower pot but hey.

I heard you can go with very big cuttings from this plant if i cut some of this bigger branches i could do cuttings with it? I just tried it with smaller ones

Attachments

• Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG-20231028-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20231028-WA0007.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-20231028-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20231028-WA0008.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-20231028-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20231028-WA0009.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG-20231028-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20231028-WA0010.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi @Katzennahrung, glad you found this great Bonsai site!

I don't have any portulacaria but I do have several big-leaf jade plants (not as bonsai). Almost any branch will root. I have success by putting the stem in a glass of water, or into damp soil or sand. In my opinion they are hard to kill LOL

That being said, if it were my tree, I would study it for a while. Turn it this way and that, leave the room and come back later, each time discovering new ideas.

I wish you much success and joy in your bonsai journey.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I heard you can go with very big cuttings from this plant if i cut some of this bigger branches i could do cuttings with it? I just tried it with smaller ones
Sure. It's pretty leggy, meaning the leaves are out on the ends of the branches. Cutting it back would make it back bud. Welcome to the site!

Top Bottom