Please Share your Photos

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks ya'll standing in driveway watching... bit of a wind shift so hope it starts heading further east. Still on hold.
If ya do have to leave, hope you don't, but if ya do, hope your home and surroundings remain safe and you all as well.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well... Just got the notice that we’re getting ready to evacuate... just waiting for the word.
WTF.... 2 weeks the mountain be burning. Too windy last few days so planes can’t dump... super surreal.
Crap! Be safe, and may your trees stay wet!

Feel like there are massive fires in the USA every year. Scary stuff

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@Carol 83 @HorseloverFat @CasAH @leatherback @Japonicus
Thanks for your words everyone! Scary as heck last night... We had a huge wind shift and the fire turned. Lucky for us... waiting to hear how the homes on the other side and on the mountain faired.

I’m glad to hear your “brood” is safe...

it IS sad that, in this occurrence, your good news may be devastating news to the “other side”.. that IS scary!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hémérocalle, Daylily, is one of the flowers I've always seen in my parents' garden. They had the orange, plain species. Since then, I've found out that there are dozens of cultivars. Here's one that I particularly like for its very sweet, "feminine" colours, the pink the attractiveness, the light green, fertility. I won't continue the metaphoric comparison further (stamen, etc.) :)

hemeroc_200618a.jpg

hemeroc_200618b.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I opened the backdoor to watch the last light while having a smoke, and there was a bat zigzaguing above my head. Last year, we were having a meal outside with my friend and she showed me how when you throw a piece of sausage or meat from the BBQ these little devils can catch them in the air. No photos of course, but I love bats, they're my friends, they feed on mosquitoes :cool:

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
DSC_4644.JPG

DSC_4645.JPG
DSC_4653.JPG

DSC_4654.JPG
dang it! I had the quality set to LOW on these for typical bonsai shots :mad:
If I had a good zoom and had the quality set to FINE these last 2 pics would have been decent.
As much as it appears to be a landing shot, the last pic is actually a take off shot of a Red headed woodpecker.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Gymnopilus Luteus... grows in this spot every year. Walk about a block east, to another derelict building.. Gymnopilus Spectabilis. Fervent spore producers.. deep rust-colored.

Decent viewing.

4A4F17DD-EFDD-47AF-A9B2-CE3E8C238593.jpegA0C7A7A0-6168-4F49-AC96-91712B7181C3.jpeg

You can even spot the mycelial colony completely permeating the decomposing, untreated coniferous material.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Luxemburg, WI

This guy followed us for the duration of our walk.. always about 12 feet away.

6CDD077D-9B6D-430F-B982-7FD209A5C6D3.jpeg0E18C9BA-3084-42FC-89C7-EAC069A084E4.jpeg
This is an extra “gus”.. never hurts to have “a spare.”
6A3D21E0-C74F-4495-B94E-B6FED112A9C3.jpeg6F342FA4-7CD3-4B7C-9977-BAF89F6A03CD.jpeg27148685-EC4B-402C-B2B1-D3B63EA7AE05.jpeg68FDFAFC-00C7-47F4-8178-F069AE9B5DB5.jpegC7BBAFFC-01E4-4B69-9B49-738B4DF1B1FB.jpeg
Wild Ginnala (?) -about 7.3’ tall with about 2.66” trunk base...

I’ll be back with a hand saw and a larger shovel in the future.

;)

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So maybe somebody could cue me in on my shutter speed vs aperture on my DSLR.
The faster the shutter, like the wood pecker above in my last post (next to last pic)
I set the shutter to something like 1500-2000, but the picture was so dark I had to really edit the exposure.
When I set the shutter to 8000 it's so dark, because the fast shutter makes up for say a bright beach scene
that you cant make out much.

Here's a picture I took of the same wood pecker (Northern Flicker) with the yellow under its' wings unedited for exposure.
DSC_4651.JPG
When I change the aperture to accommodate this the shutter does not retain the speed setting. Why is this?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The faster the shutter, like the wood pecker above in my last post (next to last pic)
I set the shutter to something like 1500-2000, but the picture was so dark I had to really edit the exposure.
When I set the shutter to 8000 it's so dark, because the fast shutter makes up for say a bright beach scene

Here's a picture I took of the same wood pecker (Northern Flicker) with the yellow under its' wings unedited for exposure.
View attachment 310342
When I change the aperture to accommodate this the shutter does not retain the speed setting. Why is this?

I wish I could help you out, friend.
The answers you seek are foreign to me.

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
DSC_4178.JPG

DSC_4181.JPG
Early Spring this year. I just removed ALL the wire this week, only to hear Adair tell me it should've stayed on all year !@#$
...and this was maybe my best wiring job. It is unusual for me to wire 90% of a tree at one time, particularly this size a tree.
At least I left the guy wires on.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

View attachment 310342
Unless you are shooting manual, (which is for journeyman and above), may be switching back and forth from speed priority to aperture priority. You should decide what you want to use depending on the scene you are shooting and the quality of your lens.
I recommend you stick with auto most of the time. I’ve been shooting for 50 years and about 80% of the time I use Auto unless I’m underwater or shooting birds. Then I often use aperature priority....
If this doesn’t help PM me.
cheers
DSD sends
(JFYI Many kit and low priced lenses on DSLRs do not have a larger aperture, so good shooting in marginal lighting conditions early AM or late PM is very difficult no matter what shutter and aperature you use unless you are using a tripod.)

EE8ECC4E-54F1-48A8-96A4-D80F674BA7DC.jpegDCB280DD-ABBE-48EA-B846-6FF2741C3B0E.jpegOn

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The holy tripod of aperture, exposure time and sensor sensitivity..

The sensor needs to get a certain amount of light to get the image. The ISO setting set the amount of light needed to get there. A higher ISO setting means a higher sensitivity. Unfortunately, the higher the ISO setting, the lower the image quality (You are trying to get an image with ever less light: Quality goes down). Depending on the camera and the purpose of the images, this may become noticable at 400 ISO or much much higher (Pro cameras at 1600 ISO still have very good quality).

Then, for a specific sensitivity you need to have the perfect match between exposure time and lens opening.

Lens wide open (Higher aperture number) means you can have short exposures. And lens nearly completely closed means you need longer exposure times.

Note: Smaller lens opening (High aperture number & longer exposures) means a larger focal depth, more of the image will be in focus.

In your situation, raise the ISO so you can take faster shots in dark situations. It will eventually cost you in image quality though.

Top Bottom