chlorine-queen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Some time back I got it in my head to try developing a RoR bonsai over a large geode and decided a BRT would best suit the look I had in mind. I found a nice rock first, and since I live in coastal Oregon where BRTs are nowhere to be found in brick and mortar stores, I ordered one from Wigert's earlier this year.
372298769_656252209796068_7913982638258926994_n.jpg372215663_582886737182429_7167261540104379999_n.jpgrorbrt.png
It's a nice little tree in and of itself, and I've just been letting it recover from shipping and adapt to the new climate, which it seems to be doing well. Well, I'd ordered it under the assumption that a tree of a small size like that would be pretty easy to bend into almost whatever shape I wanted, which I've learned in the meantime is not the case and the trunk of this tree is very stiff. I'm scrapping the design I'd originally envisioned (see crappy MS Paint sketch) and am trying to figure out what I can do with this tree that would suit the shape and size of the geode I have for this project. Overall I'm not a big fan of the long, straight section that is the bottom of the trunk. I might consider air layering it, but I've yet to successfully do that with a tree thus far (I'm in the process with a 10 ft redwood I haven't killed the top of yet, but also haven't seen any sign of roots). I could try some raffia and heavy wire to carefully bend whatever motion I can into the trunk, and try wiring the branches in a way that might make the tree seem a bit more visually compressed. I've also seen the technique of making very thin perpendicular slices in a trunk to allow for more bending than would normally be doable, which might work in combination with the raffia though I doubt it would ever get the movement I'd initially hoped for. Another thought has been to orient the geode more vertically instead, and grow the tree upright off the side of it.
372298735_810768073874181_6594162269538050141_n.jpg
Overall, if anyone would be so inclined to throw in ideas on how to make this work, I'd be thrilled. Seeking out a different tree isn't out of the question, but I'd like to consider all the options I have with this one before moving on.

PS: I have seen/been following LittleDingus's geode ficuses!

Personally, I would take cuttings and use a young plant with very pliable roots to set this up and then take the 2-4 years it takes to get the roots to swell and morph over the surface. Using an older tree takes considerably longer to get such a firm connection to the rock that it does not look too man-made, most of the time.

Personally, I would take cuttings and use a young plant with very pliable roots to set this up and then take the 2-4 years it takes to get the roots to swell and morph over the surface. Using an older tree takes considerably longer to get such a firm connection to the rock that it does not look too man-made, most of the time.
I’ve thought of that too, so yesterday I did do some very slight pruning at the top where multiple branches were emerging from the same spot and saved those cuttings in some water. I know BRT are supposed to strike really easily, but I’ve never done this species before so I’ll see how these do before I look for a couple more suitable branches to cut. Thank you for the reply!

As Leatherback said but also there in no curve in the current trunk low enough.
I have rooted them in sand, not the fine play sand but more like pool filter sand.
I also have rooted them in long strand spagnum moss and have done well in that, I've got a nice little one about 2 years old still in it.
Get an old 2.5 gal aquarium with a cover or seal with plastic etc or a Plastic bin with sealed cover, Wal-Mart, and put the cutting in it.
Or a couple clear solo cups, punch holes in the bottom of one and a small hole at the top (bottom and make it the top) of the other and make a little Greenhouse.
Keep warm under light.. After rooting and some growth remove cover gradually so it gets use to fresh, dryer air or take out mid summer when it's really humid.

Self promotion warning!

But.. this guy knows what he is dong when it comes to BRT propagation :cool:
🤣

Haha, I’ve spent enough time reading to know you come up a lot whenever it comes to BRTs, so thanks for chiming in! I’ll move the cuttings I took into some substrate and get them into some sort of humidity container. Honestly I’m not disappointed on the consensus of starting fresh from a cutting, I’d rather do that and have more control over the final design than try to fight the current tree into what I want.
As Leatherback said but also there in no curve in the current trunk low enough.
I have rooted them in sand, not the fine play sand but more like pool filter sand.
I also have rooted them in long strand spagnum moss and have done well in that, I've got a nice little one about 2 years old still in it.
Get an old 2.5 gal aquarium with a cover or seal with plastic etc or a Plastic bin with sealed cover, Wal-Mart, and put the cutting in it.
Or a couple clear solo cups, punch holes in the bottom of one and a small hole at the top (bottom and make it the top) of the other and make a little Greenhouse.
Keep warm under light.. After rooting and some growth remove cover gradually so it gets use to fresh, dryer air or take out mid summer when it's really humid.
It just happens I do have a 2.5 gal with a lid and full spectrum light sitting empty, could also be a good opportunity to try and get some arial roots going on my little tiger bark ficus once it’s cold enough for that to need to come indoors. Hopefully by next year I’ll have some progress to share 🙂

Make sure the cutting are not green, the wood should turn gray and hardened off. Cut any new green soft growth off the top, tip...
I sorta cut whatever looked like it needed to go from the original tree (four branches coming out of the same spot reduced to one, etc) and that’s what I’m working with currently.
F6FC980E-F7E3-43BF-A388-1B6671AD4CDC.jpegA3A35D0F-C107-412F-A847-F04F7BA0C54B.jpeg
I’ve got these set up in sphagnum/perlite and a humidity tray in a lower light corner of my sunroom, and once I see any signs of new growth I’ll gradually increase the light intensity. The original tree will get potted into inorganic soil and a larger container soon to hopefully promote faster growth/longer extensions so I can be more picky with the cuttings I take.

Back
Top Bottom