Pine tree seedling question.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

Has anyone ever tried growing 10-20 pine seedlings in one pot and hope they will bond to each other into one tree?

Thanks

J

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
IMG_20200519_185808.jpg
Not 10-20. And I don't expect them to fuse together.
But it should be fun none the less.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have a tree that started as 2 seedlings, now well fused together. It was developed by threading 2 seedlings through holes drilled in sheet metal. As the trunks thicken circulation is cut off so the trees put out new roots above the plate. The resulting callus above the holes and lots of roots entwined is conducive to grafting so they are now well joined.
In my experience you will need to hold them together quite tight until they fuse. If not they will just push each other away as they thicken. Need to tie with something that can stretch a little so it does not leave marks but strong enough to keep pressure on them. Wire is not good.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'll let you know in a few years! just did exactly as Shibui suggested this spring, used florist tape(8-10 wraps)
Did some Scotts Pine, Japanese Larch, and Ezo Spruce all 2 year seedlings in bunches of 2,3,5,7 and 9

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you all, the problem I have is I got too many...lol...it's already 25-28 Celsius here...I don't want to kill them.

I have close to about 3500 of these...and more are sprouting...

Attachments

• IMG_20200523_183540.jpg
    IMG_20200523_183540.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 12

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Either Michael Hagedorn, Crataegus Blog, or Jonas Dupuich, or both have had photos and discussions about clump pine plantings. Yes, some of them fuse quite nicely.

Bonsai Tonight, Jonas Dupuich

Crataegus - Michael Hagedorn

Top Bottom