Pine tree I.D.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Found a two needle pine growing on a fast food restaurant chains property, it looked like a Japanese two needle pine, I took a few pine cones for seeds was wondering if anyone could identify from cones?FE3F8C1E-1EF1-4189-B753-00537B70B4F1.jpegFE3F8C1E-1EF1-4189-B753-00537B70B4F1.jpeg

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Could be Nigra? Not sure if that’s a common tree used in the nursery trade

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Could be any number of species.
A lot of the 2 needle pines have similar looking cones

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
🤣 the parent tree looked like jap black pine with similar needle length and deep green color, did not have a ruler to measure length

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Without more diagnostic criteria, you won’t get a definitive answer.
If you return to the area and it doesn’t look too weird, take a twig sample and some close up photos of the buds, needles, and bark. A full tree picture can help too.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Without more diagnostic criteria, you won’t get a definitive answer.
If you return to the area and it doesn’t look too weird, take a twig sample and some close up photos of the buds, needles, and bark. A full tree picture can help too.
Without more to go on, I’d agree with Pinus nigra. Perhaps resinosa.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The trait of importance on the cone is NO spine on the central umbo, that bump in the center of the scale. No teeth on the scale margins. Now YOU have to do the tedious work of paging through eFloras and reading botanical descriptions. Or you can wait to see if you get lucky. But most of what you need to ID the pine is in the photo. A flora is a collection of official botanical descriptions gathered in one place. For example "Trees of North America" A flora can be organized around a genus name, a location or a habitat, "Flora of the Cloud Forests of the Andes".

Arbor Day tree guide, probably easiest to use - https://www.arborday.org/trees/whattree/

If you prefer to read in Spanish language - https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/media/fact-pages/flora-mesoamericana

In case your tree is from Europe - https://gobotany.nativeplanttrust.org/simple/

Flora of North America entries

Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@discusmike - was the bark on the trunk think reddish flakey plates? Or hard, gray, brown or black alligator pattern? Firmly attached bark or loose?

Pinus resinosa was one possibility, but needs reddish thin plated bark that flakes off. Pinus banksiana except cones usually twist. JBP is a possible fit.

Missouri Botanic Garden has a page of links

And this is a world wide database which would include pines not native to North America

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The tree was planted when the building was constructed, not a wild tree, tree was short compared to local pines with some zig zagging to trunk n branches unlike my local pines with straight tall trunks and branches, wish I would have took photos

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Should have photographed the candles. I collected a few dozen jbp cones this year an they look jbp but no guarantees. I recommend goin back for more pine cones... and some pics while you're there lol

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The tree was planted when the building was constructed, not a wild tree, tree was short compared to local pines with some zig zagging to trunk n branches unlike my local pines with straight tall trunks and branches, wish I would have took photos
That sounds like Mugo

Top Bottom