Pine material assessment

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey pine heads, thought I could start a thread for folks to post potential purchases for advice. I appreciate immensely the help I get from this forum, and thought a thread like this can be a good spot for people to post up a quick pic, and better understand what to look for in a purchase.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a pine a friend of my thinks is a JRP that he got in a batch of JBP seeds. I was hoping those more educated than me could help me figure out if it is indeed JRP. It has reddish buds, so it definetly stands out from the other JBP, any ideas @Brian Van Fleet @Adair M @bonhe @markyscott many thanks in advance guys20190302_120814.jpg20190302_120830.jpg20190302_120848.jpg20190302_120820.jpg

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a pine a friend of my thinks is a JRP that he got in a batch of JBP seeds. I was hoping those more educated than me could help me figure out if it is indeed JRP. It has reddish buds, so it definetly stands out from the other JBP, any ideas @Brian Van Fleet @Adair M @bonhe @markyscott many thanks in advance guysView attachment 229963View attachment 229964View attachment 229965View attachment 229966
Yes, I agree. It may be a JRP. The characteristics of bud color, needles and branches let me think of JRP
Thụ Thoại

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like a JRP. They hybridize with JBP.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The buds look like JRP but needles are thick and coarse like JBP. I guess these are hybrids. Seems to be more common as trees of one species are planted in areas where the other grows naturally. Lazy seed collectors take seed from parks and street trees rather than sourcing from pure stands in the mountains.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Looks JRPish to me, as well. If you do get it, get some wire on those branches and wire them down and out with movement. In my experience, JRP back bud better then JBP and wiring out the branches exposes the inside of the canopy to sun and gets adventitious buds to pop.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like a JRP. They hybridize with JBP.
There are commercial/patented densi x thunbergii. I have a 'Jane Kluis'. Needles are lighter/less-coarse when in bonsai culture, but still have the distinctive red pine coloration. Densi x thunbergii ought to be fun, @Wilson!

full

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are commercial/patented densi x thunbergii. I have a 'Jane Kluis'. Needles are lighter/less-coarse when in bonsai culture, but still have the distinctive red pine coloration. Densi x thunbergii ought to be fun, @Wilson!

full

That's a beauty Oso! Thanks for sharing.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The buds look like JRP but needles are thick and coarse like JBP. I guess these are hybrids. Seems to be more common as trees of one species are planted in areas where the other grows naturally. Lazy seed collectors take seed from parks and street trees rather than sourcing from pure stands in the mountains.

There are reports of plants in France being pollinated by plants in Morocco. A few times a year, we get rains here in the Netherlands containing sand from the Sahara desert. If sand and dust can come that far, pollen can too. Pure stands have a lower chance of being contaminated, but it's no guarantee whatsoever.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here is a pine a friend of my thinks is a JRP that he got in a batch of JBP seeds. I was hoping those more educated than me could help me figure out if it is indeed JRP. It has reddish buds, so it definetly stands out from the other JBP, any ideas @Brian Van Fleet @Adair M @bonhe @markyscott many thanks in advance guys[
Looks like JRP to me too. Needles will be softer, and branches are scary brittle.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just want to remind folks that with spring nursery hunting, this can be an easy thread to post possible purchases(I don't know if it's cause I am a dad, but accidental aliteration like that happens!) Anyway if you are not sure of if material is worthy to buy, throw it in here to be evaluated. Then this can become a good way to read about faults, and positives in material.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
'Jane Kluis' is the primary hybrid (densiflora x thunbergii) in that it is believed both parents were the nominal species

Something else, there is much discussion about JBP with red buds. This representing gene introgression, where off and on only the occasional hybrid between the two species occurs, just often enough that some traits of one species pop up occasionally in a population of another species. IE, the red bud cultivars of cork bark Japanese black pine. There is no doubt the red budded varieties are otherwise JBP, but the buds are red, a gene introgression trait from JRP somewhere in the ancestry of the JBP.

But the current binomial taxonomy is not equipped to handle modern population genetic species concepts. So it is just a thought, or point that does not need to change the way we do anything.

Top Bottom