Piñon Jay seed clumps

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Growing up in New Mexico I’ve long admired the Piñon as meaningful tree in my life for the hours playing in and around them as a kid, to the fall seasons collecting, baking and chomping down on there delicious seeds. But now that I’m a fully obsessed bonsai practitioner they have an even more special place in my heart, especially after learning about one of their primary sources for proliferation.

Early on, I could not collect these trees or many for that matter. I killed every piñon I attempted. This was really just ignorance and a lack of understanding of collecting methods for these and most trees. In the last 2 years my skill at collecting not just piñon, but our other native shrub/tree, the one seed Juniper, as increased drastically. What I’ve noticed in those collections is that I often, more often than not at least, get either a single or a clump of piñon seedlings that sprout from the intact root ball I collect. I assumed that it was a feathered friend spreading the seeds from place to place, but in doing research found that the clumps and individuals are due almost solely to the piñon Jay.

I would start listing cool facts about them, but I’ll just post a link below so you can check out for yourself. I will also share a few of these examples, including a clump I dug and planted individually that I plan on cultivating for as long as it takes to make a great Bonsai from it.

With that said and a side note, it immediately gave me the idea of a great show display. Using a mature one seed juniper as the primary and much taller tree, then pairing that with a piñon pine clump (a young one) and a third part of the display being a cast bronze piñon Jay. I dream of these native displays and know I’ll get there sooner than later.

IMG_7016.jpegIMG_7017.jpegIMG_7020.jpeg

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I admire the creativity of this, Danny! Really wonderful idea for a display indeed. Can’t wait to see it in action!

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love this post. I've read a similar clump phenomenon can happen with whitebark pine in some places where it grows. The bird in that relationship is Clark's nutcracker, and they have a habit of squirreling away lots of seeds in various caches.

Side note: interesting how evocative of a clump of cedrus atlantica seedlings that blue-ish clump of piñon is.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love this post. I've read a similar clump phenomenon can happen with whitebark pine in some places where it grows. The bird in that relationship is Clark's nutcracker, and they have a habit of squirreling away lots of seeds in various caches.

Side note: interesting how evocative of a clump of cedrus atlantica seedlings that blue-ish clump of piñon is.
I think this is the power of Bonsai in some ways. Really gets you thinking about and understanding natural phenomena that I’d otherwise just think was Interesting. It lead me to understand the danger the species is under and the steps being taken to help recover. Bonsai did that.

And yes! Juvenile foliage on piñon has a very blue tinge, very similar to cedrus

Captkingdom

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hartinez,
Would you mind sharing what you've learned about collecting pinions? My success rate has been abysmal.
I successfully collected one out of a rock cleft once, and it lasted for 2 years and then somehow I killed it. I'm greatly desiring to add one to my collection.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hartinez,
Would you mind sharing what you've learned about collecting pinions? My success rate has been abysmal.
I successfully collected one out of a rock cleft once, and it lasted for 2 years and then somehow I killed it. I'm greatly desiring to add one to my collection.
The conditions and soil it’s growing in are a big part. I’ve collected several from sandy environments in the bottom of acequias and arroyos, but the soil falls away easily almost bare rooting the tree. I have found it best to dig in more clay soils with lots of pine duff on top. This allows the dirt to stay intact during the digging and transporting process. It’s imperative that the rootball stays intact and is planted in 100% pumice. Then given 2 years plus to recover.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
This is so awesome! I will wait patiently to see this plan come to fruition…

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Rad post, Danny. We had a pinon clump in our front yard (1204 Lead SW) that I loved, but I think the subsequent owners removed it.

Top Bottom