Peter Chan Video

Shamino

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Recently I watched a Peter Chan Video about creating a Blue Cedar forest. (
) When he potted the trees, he put in the mesh and the wire to secure the trees but added no soil to the bottom of the pot. He then positioned the trees, tied them down and added soil all around to fill the pot. Isn't it necessary to put even a small amount of soil under the rootballs?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's not always necessary if the rootball still contains soil.
But I prefer to do it, every time, no matter if it's a forest or a single tree.

I like Peter Chan for his enthusiasm and his simplicity. I'm not a fan of his methods and designs.

Woukd be fun to see this forest in the summer, I wonder how these plants survived. I often wonder about that with his plants, and I'm kind of curious now if there have been any follow ups on things he did in the past.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's not always necessary if the rootball still contains soil.
But I prefer to do it, every time, no matter if it's a forest or a single tree.

I like Peter Chan for his enthusiasm and his simplicity. I'm not a fan of his methods and designs.

Woukd be fun to see this forest in the summer, I wonder how these plants survived. I often wonder about that with his plants, and I'm kind of curious now if there have been any follow ups on things he did in the past.

He has done many fallow ups on trees he had done. I think Peter is more carful of the trees health than most bonsai professionals. I agree he isn’t a “master” of bonsai but horticulturally he is one of the best.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
He has done many fallow ups on trees he had done. I think Peter is more carful of the trees health than most bonsai professionals. I agree he isn’t a “master” of bonsai but horticulturally he is one of the best.
I rarely watch his videos, so I'll do some catching up!
Since there's a thread already to voice our opinions on mr Chan, with all due respect, I'll refrain from any more venting of my opinion here:).

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I used to watch his videos but they have become very repetitious and over simplified. He rarely goes into any depth on the theory behind what he is doing nor does he adequately cover aftercare which is of extreme importance when it comes to a lot of what he does. I think his success rate corresponds to the fact he has several greenhouses for after care plus years of experience with tree care. The best stuff I have seen on his channel in the last couple of years were the videos done by Kevin Wilson primarily on carving and styling yews.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I used to watch his videos but they have become very repetitious and over simplified. He rarely goes into any depth on the theory behind what he is doing nor does he adequately cover aftercare which is of extreme importance when it comes to a lot of what he does. I think his success rate corresponds to the fact he has several greenhouses for after care plus years of experience with tree care. The best stuff I have seen on his channel in the last couple of years were the videos done by Kevin Wilson primarily on carving and styling yews.

I agree he is not as informative once you’re in or past intermediate level. I think his biggest contribution is getting people into the hobby. I was interested in bonsai for years but it wasn’t until I started watching his videos that I got the confidence to jump in. I think he has had a bigger impact on people thinking about starting bonsai than anyone.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I agree he is not as informative once you’re in or past intermediate level. I think his biggest contribution is getting people into the hobby. I was interested in bonsai for years but it wasn’t until I started watching his videos that I got the confidence to jump in. I think he has had a bigger impact on people thinking about starting bonsai than anyone.
This. This is what Peter is all about in his current stage of bonsai.
I imagine that if Peter was making YouTube videos 20 or 30years ago, they may be quite different in focus.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I love Atlas Blue Cedar immensely, and the nursery I work at has plenty of them. I will acquire one in the Spring and make it into Bonsai. Blue Cedar makes gorgeous Bonsai.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This. This is what Peter is all about in his current stage of bonsai.
I imagine that if Peter was making YouTube videos 20 or 30years ago, they may be quite different in focus.
Agreed. He features his book from the early 1980s in one of his Hinoki Cypress videos. He seems to have been much more informative and detail-oriented. I heard him describe himself recently as a "Maverick" and far less rigid nowadays than he once was.

Top Bottom