Penumbra's Tall Unknown Juniper

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The history behind this tall juniper is rather sketchy. I have had it about 30 years and have completely forgotten where I got it and what type of juniper it is. It has been in a hyper tuffa pot for about 12 to 14 years and was in another clay pot before that. It was sitting in a terrible area up against a tree trunk where it got only about an hour or so of direct sun. I did a little work on it over 10 years ago but then neglected it. I am curious now to see what I can do with it so I am giving myself 5 years to develop it into something presentable. I know the pictures are horrible with a lot of background distractions, but it is just too heavy to move around. It is 38 inches tall from base of trunk to top. It was just re-potted about an hour ago and my wife helped me set it on the ground before I watered it.
IMG_8897.JPGIMG_8898.JPGIMG_8899.JPGIMG_8900.JPGIMG_8901.JPGIMG_8903.JPGIMG_8904.JPGIMG_8905.JPG

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That’s a sweet not so little juniper, lots of possibilities there, can’t wait to see what you do with it

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I am curious now to see what I can do with it so I am giving myself 5 years to develop it into something presentable.

Do you have any preliminary thoughts on what you could do with this one?

I would consider reducing the height by at least 1/3 for a start - maybe even more if possible. Looks like there's lots of scope for replacement leaders from the branches on that main trunk.
Like the look of the second trunk but it is way too straight and tall with any foliage (assuming there is some) hidden in a strong branch from the main trunk. I that second trunk is to stay I think it also needs to be way shorter but this time not much to chop to. There may be some live shoots way down but on the indie of that minor trunk so not as useful.
Consider possible graft to develop a trunk with more taper and growing out away from the main trunk.

5 years might get some improvements started but these generally develop quite slowly so might take a bit longer to have a really good tree from this one.

Good luck on this journey.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have any preliminary thoughts on what you could do with this one?

I would consider reducing the height by at least 1/3 for a start - maybe even more if possible. Looks like there's lots of scope for replacement leaders from the branches on that main trunk.
Like the look of the second trunk but it is way too straight and tall with any foliage (assuming there is some) hidden in a strong branch from the main trunk. I that second trunk is to stay I think it also needs to be way shorter but this time not much to chop to. There may be some live shoots way down but on the indie of that minor trunk so not as useful.
Consider possible graft to develop a trunk with more taper and growing out away from the main trunk.

5 years might get some improvements started but these generally develop quite slowly so might take a bit longer to have a really good tree from this one.

Good luck on this journey.
Good suggestions but we will see. First thing is to clean it up and seriously study its bones. This season there may not be any major cuts. Right now it is about getting it healthy and slowly moving it to a sunny location (rare in my yard). I am certain there will be some back budding. Even in its current condition it shows a desire to do this. I will be building a monkey pole for it to sit on so it will be at a good height to view and work on. The excitement for me is that it looks like a collected plant. and its survival is nearly certain.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like the look of the second trunk but it is way too straight and tall with any foliage (assuming there is some) hidden in a strong branch from the main trunk. I that second trunk is to stay I think it also needs to be way shorter
This trunk is dead and it will be shortened and deadwood treated.

Top Bottom