Orchid bark vs Akadama: moisture

CuriousLayman

Sapling
Reaction score
My intention is not to get a war going, I promise. My question is, as it relates to moisture, does anyone have experience with bark (specifically graded orchid bark 1/8-1/4 size) vs akadama?

I know that they are not the same thing and don't behave the same in other ways. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with taking something like Boon Mix and replacing the akadama with bark and what effect that had on water retention and watering practices.

My intention is not to get a war going, I promise. My question is, as it relates to moisture, does anyone have experience with bark (specifically graded orchid bark 1/8-1/4 size) vs akadama?

I know that they are not the same thing and don't behave the same in other ways. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with taking something like Boon Mix and replacing the akadama with bark and what effect that had on water retention and watering practices.
I've had both, I hate akadama as it turns to mud in about a year in my climate. I like orchid bark but no longer us it as a main part of my mix as I've found just as good of soil for lower cost.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom