One of my favorite pots

Milly

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oops.... I did it again:oops:!

Matt O. posted his latest haul on FB a few weeks ago and I couldn't resist. I really, really have a weakness for antique Chinese pots and this one, from the nakawatari era, has apparently been in kokufu and I can see why. The lotus shape, highlighted by over a century of developing patina, is sublime, and the heavy red clay body is so well built... a great pot!

View attachment 495624View attachment 495625View attachment 495626View attachment 495627
Just stunning!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
So… there was another pot in the shipping box from Matt. Beautiful old Owari ware pot, with wonderful patina developed over 100 years of use. It’s a very usable pot for the right tree… maybe an old ume or crabapple. I’ve got several possible trees that may be eligible for this pot but most are still in early to mid development… but I have time 😊
IMG_8088.jpegIMG_8089.jpegIMG_8090.jpegIMG_8091.jpeg

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
First Juko. Super cool Art Deco vibe.

Nice one! I don’t know where his pots are going, but they’re far from common in Japan at the usual markets, shops, and auctions! I wonder if he’s taken any production contracts, like his father had with Fuyo-en 🤷🏻‍♂️

Here’s one i picked up. I don’t love painted pots, but I could not resist this one that is Juko flying solo (his collaborations with painters are more common in my experience).

The anthropomorphized animals are a nod to the chojugiga, famous japanese scrolls from the 12th and 13th century.

Attachments

• IMG_6926.jpeg
    IMG_6926.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6927.jpeg
    IMG_6927.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6928.jpeg
    IMG_6928.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6929.jpeg
    IMG_6929.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6930.jpeg
    IMG_6930.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 53

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice one! I don’t know where his pots are going, but they’re far from common in Japan at the usual markets, shops, and auctions! I wonder if he’s taken any production contracts, like his father had with Fuyo-en 🤷🏻‍♂️

Here’s one i picked up. I don’t love painted pots, but I could not resist this one that is Juko flying solo (his collaborations with painters are more common in my experience).

The anthropomorphized animals are a nod to the chojugiga, famous japanese scrolls from the 12th and 13th century.
Interesting as a collector’s item, but he definitely should not quit his day job.😂

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Recent acquisition. This is an older ( not antique ) Reiho . Not sure of the age but perhaps the production chop changed over the years and a rough estimate could be obtained. Love the colour and shape. Often difficult to obtain a larger pot so was pleased to acquire it. 23 inch by 16 inch by 2 1/2 high Oval. 1 3/4 inch inside depth. Perhaps a good example of a nice pot, good quality Japanese production level. Patina developing with some crackle in the beautiful cream glaze.IMG_1833.JPGIMG_1834.JPGIMG_1233.JPG

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A couple of new pickups from Matt O.
This pot was made by Heian Senzan. He’s a modern relatively new Japanese potter. His works are well done and the glazes are what he’s becoming known for.
And unknown potter on the painted hex pot.
IMG_9009.jpegIMG_9010.jpeg

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B

Now I am looking for a doge pot

Top Bottom