Olive Bonsai from a stump? Is that a thing?

Bejzu

Sapling
Reaction score
I may have the opportunity to uproot olive trees that have been damaged by fire. I don't have pictures at the moment but was wondering if I could salvage like 20-30cm of stump + roots and try to create something from it?

Is that a thing or just too extreme ?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I may have the opportunity to uproot olive trees that have been damaged by fire. I don't have pictures at the moment but was wondering if I could salvage like 20-30cm of stump + roots and try to create something from it?

Most definitely doable. If I had the opportunity to do that, I would jump on it.

jerzyjerzy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I rooted a number of large olive "cuttings" or rather pieces of stumps without any roots whatsoever. So any olives with roots should grow unless they were seriously damaged with fire.

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's the worst that could happen? You collect them and if they grow you have some new material to work with that has a cool story behind it. If they don't then you're only out the time it took to collect them. Worth a shot in my opinion. Good luck with them!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
What's the worst that could happen? You collect them and if they grow you have some new material to work with that has a cool story behind it. If they don't then you're only out the time it took to collect them. Worth a shot in my opinion. Good luck with them!
Agree. Even if the stumps don't grow, they are gorgeous carving material.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Olives are tough customers. BIG ones are transplanted all the time. There's actually a market for selling and transplanting old olive trees. They don't have to have extensive roots to regrow, even the big ones.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one was developed from an old stumped olive tree that was originally 20 feet tall. It was collected in 1963. It's in the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum in Washington D.C.

Attachments

• olivemelbatucker.jpg
    olivemelbatucker.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 86

Bejzu

Sapling
Reaction score
Great stuff here. Thanks for the motivation

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's an clump style olive on our property. One section I cut off with a hand saw as close to the base as I could. It was leaning on the neighbor's fence. 2 hours later, sweating, aching arm, and wishing I had a chainsaw lol.

There's another section with an interesting flared base that's impossible to dig on my own. Could it be carved out a diegrinder and Graham's terrier?

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Can we get some pics of the potential trees?

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1000002684.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231202_145515_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231202_145515_Gallery.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20231202_145621_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231202_145621_Gallery.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 41

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1st photo I want to collect if possible. 2nd photo was the one leaning on our neighbor's fence. And 3rd one is the cut stump in a 5 gallon pot.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1st photo I want to collect if possible. 2nd photo was the one leaning on our neighbor's fence. And 3rd one is the cut stump in a 5 gallon pot.

There's no reason you couldn't collect all of those trunks in that first photo. Just cut them flat at the base of the flair below the soil line. But you're going to need a reciprocating saw or a chain saw to get it done without killing yourself. Somebody you know is bound to have the tool you need.

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's no reason you couldn't collect all of those trunks in that first photo. Just cut them flat at the base of the flair below the soil line. But you're going to need a reciprocating saw or a chain saw to get it done without killing yourself. Somebody you know is bound to have the tool you need.
I'd love to collect the entire thing. I might hit up Amazon for a cheap mini chainsaw or the reciprocating saw like you mentioned.

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Sawsall with a decent blade would fit in there as well... Looks like a nice potential haul coming up!

Top Bottom