NOT COMING OUT FROM WINTER

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm having a problem with some deciduous trees not budding out at all even though they all scratch test "green" one of the same species, same pot, and wintered in the same place is budded out and doing great. I have 4 Lace Bark elms, two doing fine, two others green and on freeze. Have two Crape Myrtles, both green and on freeze. Any ideas?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Crape myrtle is always one of the last to bud out for me and mine is still not showing much yet.

Not sure about the elms but the ones that arent budding yet could just be slow this year. The only thing you can do is just wait, water when they need it and hope for the best.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have three elms one has been budding out for the last month, one just started a week ago, & one that looks like its still January (it did the same thing last year). What's on freeze mean? I used to be with "it" but they keep changing what "it" is. :)

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have three elms one has been budding out for the last month, one just started a week ago, & one that looks like its still January (it did the same thing last year). What's on freeze mean? I used to be with "it" but they keep changing what "it" is. :)
In regards to this, on freeze means the tree is not budding out even though alive.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Patience grasshopper. May need to bud back from older wood to grow this year😌.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I had a Chinese Elm take until July to bud out one year. I purchased it from a nursery in Florida and it was not prepared for Wisconsin winters. In hindsight I should have protected it a lot more that first year but I was in a rental at the time with very few options for overwintering.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trees are very much like people. Some are light sleepers and wake up at the first sign of morning. Some go down deep and you have to shake them and yell at them to get them up. Did you try shaking and yelling? LoL, just kidding, but I have a dozen lace bark elms and every one is at a different stage of waking. Maples the same, only two or three showing some leaf. The rest are on freeze.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m a zone 6 and trees are just beginning to wake up. My temperatures are still cold in the evening and only in the 40s or low 50 daytime. You might be similar. I don’t usually see full opening until mid to late May. American Elms are just beginning to open buds but still slowly as temperatures are still chilly. Oak…not yet but beginning the appearance of trying. Beech…not yet, will take much warmer days. Lacebark Elm…buds but not opening yet. Field Maple open leafed and developing. Korean Hornbeam just beginning the process to open buds. I’m not concerned…this is the usual pattern for me.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
August,
I just had my elms wake up last week for the most part….what’s killing me are a few junipers that faded from green since March that l thought were going to make it through winter.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I still have freezing temperatures and frost nights ahead so I’m in no hurry to see lots of bud development….especially on frost sensitive trees. I’ve had freezing temperatures and snow at the end of May.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It looks like I only lost one tree this winter in spite of the couple of polar vortex outbreaks that dropped us down to about 5 degrees F. The ine I lost was is bald cypress that is part of a group of 4. The other 3 are budding out fine but this was the smaller of the 3 and just didn’t pull through. I do have another one about the same size that I had planned to add to the group to make it 5 trees but now it will just be a grouo of 4 again unless I can latch onto another replacement tree fast. Unfortunately not even Lowes and Home Depot have them so far so I guess it will have to be next year.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
August,
I just had my elms wake up last week for the most part….what’s killing me are a few junipers that faded from green since March that l thought were going to make it through winter.
I wouldn’t give up on those junipers yet. Junipers change color when they go dormant. If you were in the south, I’d say they’re probably dead if they’re still brownish or grayish green in April, but it’s cold enough in Idaho that they may just be dormant.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I wouldn’t give up on those junipers yet. Junipers change color when they go dormant. If you were in the south, I’d say they’re probably dead if they’re still brownish or grayish green in April, but it’s cold enough in Idaho that they may just be dormant.
Yes, but unfortunately, that is not the case … winter dulling was my hope. They were coming out of collection from last spring and by now the needles are dried up. Although the looked green until about a month ago.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'm having a problem with some deciduous trees not budding out at all even though they all scratch test "green" one of the same species, same pot, and wintered in the same place is budded out and doing great. I have 4 Lace Bark elms, two doing fine, two others green and on freeze. Have two Crape Myrtles, both green and on freeze. Any ideas?
Any changes this week after a few warm days?

Top Bottom