noobie trident maple

BILBO76

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello,

I purchased this tree and thought I had a plan on what to do. I have been reading for over a year befor purchase. Turns out reading is one thing doing is another. I am a very patient person, so I want to do this right no matter how long it takes,

Can some one give me a rough idea step by step where to go from here?

Any help is appriciated

Attachments

• s614570495742813885_p999_i3_w3024.jpg
    s614570495742813885_p999_i3_w3024.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 98
  • s614570495742813885_p999_i2_w3024.jpg
    s614570495742813885_p999_i2_w3024.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 95

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This tree looks to be well on its way to a formal upright. If it were mine, I would probably grow a sacrifice branch lower down to improve the taper and otherwise continue to work on the branching and canopy.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
First up we need a location for the tree. As it has no leaves I'm guessing Southern hemisphere somewhere but your actual location will give vital clues to local climate, etc that may have a big bearing on what to do and when.

First impression is there appears to eb developing inverse taper in the trunk just below the scar. That's usually associated with too many branches close together. Need to work out which of the branches in that area are vital and which can be removed. Newbies tend to keep way too many branches initially. Spaces are important for the final branches to develop and they will grow and fill what initially seems to be big spaces.

How long since last transplant? Tridents recover fast but also fill pots fast. My guess is 1 year after transplant from the grow bed but if you have better info let us know.

Your grower has done a good job of initial winter pruning but has left a few extra branches just to make it saleable. Some more reduction in the apex and a couple more branches removed down lower would be my recommendation but let's get some more details before rushing in .

BILBO76

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you so much for the replies. I am in southern Missouri. Do not know where to start trimming

BILBO76

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Also the pot is 20x20. How can I tell if it needs repotting? What size pot?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Thanks for the location info. That changes much of what I would have advised for a southern hemisphere grower this time of year. FYI, click on your ID icon which should take you to your personal info page where you can add the location. That way it comes up each time you post and saves remembering to type it each time.

Why no leaves at this time of year in Missouri?
Reading between the lines maybe you have only just received the tree looking like this? So maybe no point asking some of these questions, especially about history?

The pot size is fine. Plenty big enough to allow enough growth to build the branches you need. When we repot bonsai we usually trim enough roots to fit the tree back into the same pot.
I check for trees needing repotting by pressing on the soil. If it gives a little there's still room for roots. If it is solid that usually means the soil is jammed full of roots and needs repotting to make more space. Summer is NOT a good time to repot trees so don't rush out and start today. Early spring is a much better repot time.

A closer look at the soil shows it appears to have lots of fine roots which probably means last repot was probably not recent. One of the reasons for asking is that we usually allow a year after drastic root pruning for the tree to recover before doing any further major work. This tree looks well enough established to take any next steps.

For now it is just a matter of watering whenever the soil gets a bit drier and waiting for the new shoots to emerge so we can see exactly what you have. I hope you understand that most bonsai live outdoors. Tring to keep a trident maple indoors will probably kill it in a matter of months.

BILBO76

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes you are correct this is brand new to me I sent the ones without leaves to show the structure. Here is one with leaves as it is now. Yes this will be 100% outdoor tree. I have a small greenhouse if the weather gets to cold.
Thank you for taking the time to help.

Attachments

• s614570495742813885_p999_i1_w3024.jpg
    s614570495742813885_p999_i1_w3024.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 41
Top Bottom