New to Bonsai

harpua.cam

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hello everyone! I am very new to the art of bonsai and would like a little of the vast information you guys possess! I recently bought the below bonsai and gathered no information about it at all. Very dumb in hindsight. Anyways, I have read all about bonsai for about a week and now needed some help on determining a few qualities about my trees. First I'm pretty sure there are two separate trees but haven't looked at the root system to be positive. Wasn't sure if the pot was too big Didn't want to disturb the root system. Basically I know jack squat about the trees and would like some help determining species and age so I can adequately take care of them. I have read all about the importance of watering so I haven't made the beginner mistake of overwatering. Any helpful info would be appreciated including some styling tips and when to style. Thanks again!

b3.jpgb2.jpgb1.jpg

Update your profile to show your location. It will help people determine certain things

That looks to be a Juniper, probably procumbens. Keep it outdoors 24/7/365. Welcome!

Should I separate the trees? Would it be easier for a novice?

My advice, for right now, is to focus on doing nothing but keeping them alive. Deep summer is not the best time of year to do anything major to your trees. Focus on watering it just enough (without drowning it), fertilizing it just enough (without burning it). Then you will have a super healthy tree in September/October that you can consider for repotting or what have you.

Welcome to your new life and welcome to the Nut House! Out of curiosity, do you need any assistance getting your pictures rotated? It would make it easier to look at. Just shout if you need help with that.

Thanks for all of the info! I live in a condo on the 3rd story and they are receiving about 2 hours of afternoon sun a day. Is that enough? I could reposition them and add a couple of hours but I wasn't sure how much they really need. I've read conflicting opinions.

Thanks for all of the info! I live in a condo on the 3rd story and they are receiving about 2 hours of afternoon sun a day. Is that enough? I could reposition them and add a couple of hours but I wasn't sure how much they really need. I've read conflicting opinions.

Your juniper needs as much sunlight as you can give it.

Junipers pretty much HAVE to be outdoors. Indoor conditions kill them. Indoor conditions and inexperienced care kills them quickly.

Don't mean that the way it sounds. I mean that indoor conditions weaken junipers. Inexact care accents the already tough conditions in a one-two punch the plant will not recover from. If it's in potting soil, you've got another issue that will also drag it down...

It is currently located on an outside patio that receives sun about 5 hours a day from 1-6pm. The soil is a mixture of materials but definitely not potting soil. Should I position it where it receives the full 5 hours of sunlight? Also since the sun comes from one direction, how often should I rotate my bonsai? 1/4 turn ? 1/2 turn?

Welcome harpua.cam...Yes, a full 5 hours a day would be enough to keep it healthy. However, 6-8 hours would be better...but you can work with what you have.. As far as turning the tree, every few days you can turn it. Pic a front and back..A few days for one side and a few days for the other.

Rob

In the future, what are some species that require less sunlight?

How often should I fertilize? Have seen many different instructions?

During the growing season fertilize this tree maybe every few weeks. There are different guidelines regarding fertilizing. Once every few weeks would be fine. Also, do not fertilize in winter and do not fertilize a sick or weak tree. Almost all bonsai need lots of sun.. There are really none that can get by on only a couple of hours a day.

Rob

Junipers now receiving 6-7 hours of sun a day and they look very healthy to my novice eye. What is the way to prune without browning? I haven't even touched the trees but I want to tidy them up just a bit if you guys recommend? I know not to mettle to much with the trees but I would like to keep the general shape I have. Thanks again and hope everyone had a great weekend.

P.S. any Florida peeps on this forum? Trying to get some info on the local bonsai club meeting. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom