New to Bonsai in Las Vegas

pablo

Sapling
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! Glad to be part of the community here. I’ve been a very little to no experience bonsai enthusiast for a few years now and just taking the deeper dive this year into my hobby.

It appears I may have chosen the most inhospitable place to grow bonsai- Las Vegas. Any tips from members here would be great!

In my very small collection I have Junipers, Boxwood, Chinese Elm and Japanese maple. I had a golden gate ficus but that one really didn’t do well since our humidity here is like -10% here all the time. Working on preparing for the summer as this is the hardest time for bonsai here IMO.

Any tips are greatly appreciated! I suppose if you can survive having trees in Vegas you could do it anywhere!

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It'll be tough but it's doable in LV. Definitely look at those Phoenix Bonsai lists, they're climate is pretty much the same.

In addition to some of the other suggestions you can look at olives, bougainvilleas, black pine (although you might need shade cloth). Maple is gonna be a tough one in the desert.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I live in the desert as well. 110+ in the summer

My advice is look at what’s planted in landscapes as those will be heat tolerable species. Go to the local nurseries. I believe a few Moon Nurseries are around that area

Also, it may pain most bonsai enthusiasts, but due to our desert climates, a small, shallow pot will roast roots and kill the plant. You’ll need to find deeper pots. Also, most soil mixes won’t retain enough water in the heat (unless you want to be out watering every 30 mins)

All my stuff is still in their nursery pots (and either normal potting soil or an orchid bark mix). My stuff only dies if I forget a watering

Species I have are boxwood, Rosemary, oak, sage, desert willow, ash, and mesquite to name a few

Bougainvillea should do fine for you. I tried them here, but we freeze in winter, so winter killed mined off the first season

I’m watering once every few days, but come middle of summer I’ll have to water at least twice a day. Three times if it’s over 110

pablo

Sapling
Reaction score
Dwarf jade maybe pomegranate. What’s planted in the landscape around you?
Landscape is full of boxwood and juniper shrub. I picket out my boxwood from the local nurseries. Definitely a good idea in terms of species to look for!

pablo

Sapling
Reaction score
Dwarf jade maybe pomegranate. What’s planted in the landscape around you?
Landscape is full of boxwood and juniper shrub. I picket out my boxwood from the local nurseries. Definitely a good idea in terms of species to look for
Maybe this will be relevant to you. Each one of these species is graded I-V in terms of difficulty to grow in phoenix

oh this is perfect. Thanks for sharing. Yes they have almost the same climate in Phoenix!

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

My advice is look at what’s planted in landscapes as those will be heat tolerable species. Go to the local nurseries. I believe a few Moon Nurseries are around that area

Also, it may pain most bonsai enthusiasts, but due to our desert climates, a small, shallow pot will roast roots and kill the plant. You’ll need to find deeper pots. Also, most soil mixes won’t retain enough water in the heat (unless you want to be out watering every 30 mins)

All my stuff is still in their nursery pots (and either normal potting soil or an orchid bark mix). My stuff only dies if I forget a watering

Species I have are boxwood, Rosemary, oak, sage, desert willow, ash, and mesquite to name a few

Bougainvillea should do fine for you. I tried them here, but we freeze in winter, so winter killed mined off the first season

I’m watering once every few days, but come middle of summer I’ll have to water at least twice a day. Three times if it’s over 110
Bonsai is SUPER shallow pots seems to be a recent phenomenon, especially on deciduous trees. A taller container is nothing to be ashamed of, as a live tree in a deep pot looks better than a dead tree in a shallow one.

pablo

Sapling
Reaction score
It'll be tough but it's doable in LV. Definitely look at those Phoenix Bonsai lists, they're climate is pretty much the same.

In addition to some of the other suggestions you can look at olives, bougainvilleas, black pine (although you might need shade cloth). Maple is gonna be a tough one in the desert.
Yeah, the maple might need to be relocated in prior to the summer. Just saw some of the specs on it and while it has done well so far, I might consider selling in the near future.

pablo

Sapling
Reaction score
Be careful to call bonsai a "hobby" around here.. I've noticed a lot of debate around this for the last few days ;)
Oh yeah, in terms of the term "hobby", I do not condone the idea of keeping a tree indoors or not caring for it properly where its death is imminent! Not sure what the accepted terminology is here but I would call it a lifestyle for me, lol.

pablo

Sapling
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply! Any examples you could share on soil and pots? I was using a pumice mix, but was really thinking about adding some soil for the summer instead (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M68B4JG?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd be careful about using soil that is too porous or you will be watering constantly. The stuff you listed is pretty chunky. Boxwood like well drained soil, but they also like a bit of moisture in the heat...It's not an easy balance, particularly in the desert.

pablo

Sapling
Reaction score
I'd be careful about using soil that is too porous or you will be watering constantly. The stuff you listed is pretty chunky. Boxwood like well drained soil, but they also like a bit of moisture in the heat...It's not an easy balance, particularly in the desert.
Yeah, finding the right soil is a little challenging especially here in Vegas. I’ll definitely be making some adjustments here soon.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wonder if some Australian natives wouldn't be a good choice for your climate. Probably would have to grow most from seed purchased on Sheffields, but I don't know a thing about trees from the Southern Hemisphere. Maybe they are available for sale over in your desert.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, finding the right soil is a little challenging especially here in Vegas. I’ll definitely be making some adjustments here soon.
I'd check with someone already doing bonsai in your area (or Phoenix, etc.) about what they're using. I am hesitant to recommend soil, as I'm not in a desert. I've lived in AZ for a while and currently have a few boxwood.

A soil with a bit of moisture retaining organic might work for the boxwood there:

pablo

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation. I’m definitely trying to get an idea from those folks living in the desert. I know it varies based on species but I’ll definitely consider this one for the boxwood, thanks for sharing!

Attachments

• IMG_1865.jpeg
    IMG_1865.jpeg
    322.7 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

pablo

Sapling
Reaction score
Normal potting soil and the 1 gal plastic nursery pots. Nothing fancy. Some bigger pieces are in larger nursery pots
Thanks for sharing. What are your thoughts about switching them out now? I know its a little later in the spring now but I really want to get prepped up for the summer since we get super dry here!

Top Bottom