New stand build

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Work has been slow at the start of this year and so I decided to make a new stand. My grandpa passed away this last year and before he did he sent with my mom 2 pieces of what he was calling Mahogany (which I know @Bonsai Nut is a complicated topic of conversation in the wood world). Regardless, the boards were awfully wide. About 16” or so.

They both needed flattening and were too wide for my thickness planer. I used a router sled and flattening bit to get them dialed in. The joinery and subsequent curve at the joinery is a trick I learned from Austin Heitzman. I cut the 27.5 degree angles first then go back through with a rather large cove bit to achieve a heavy round over where the joints meet. The angle has to be cut first then the rounding.

The live edge portion is a piece of Russian olive I picked up from my local exotic wood shop. I thought the color complimented the mahogany nicely. Each side has a different section of the live edge giving two different possible fronts for the stand.

It’s a rather large stand and could host a number of tree types from deciduous to conifer. Overall top dimension is about 15”x20” with a height of about 6”.

I’m pleased with how it turned out. It’s def for sale so if anyone is interested reach out. I’m also going to post to Instagram and subsequently the FB auctions. I’ve often not charged enough for stand in the past but will def be asking for this stands worth. If I don’t sell it though, I’ll have a sweet stand to use for my own trees!

Thanks for looking!

IMG_6138.jpegIMG_6141.jpegIMG_6139.jpegIMG_6142.jpegIMG_6143.jpegIMG_6144.jpegIMG_6140.jpegIMG_6146.jpeg

Work has been slow at the start of this year and so I decided to make a new stand. My grandpa passed away this last year and before he did he sent with my mom 2 pieces of what he was calling Mahogany (which I know @Bonsai Nut is a complicated topic of conversation in the wood world). Regardless, the boards were awfully wide. About 16” or so.

They both needed flattening and were too wide for my thickness planer. I used a router sled and flattening bit to get them dialed in. The joinery and subsequent curve at the joinery is a trick I learned from Austin Heitzman. I cut the 27.5 degree angles first then go back through with a rather large cove bit to achieve a heavy round over where the joints meet. The angle has to be cut first then the rounding.

The live edge portion is a piece of Russian olive I picked up from my local exotic wood shop. I thought the color complimented the mahogany nicely. Each side has a different section of the live edge giving two different possible fronts for the stand.

It’s a rather large stand and could host a number of tree types from deciduous to conifer. Overall top dimension is about 15”x20” with a height of about 6”.

I’m pleased with how it turned out. It’s def for sale so if anyone is interested reach out. I’m also going to post to Instagram and subsequently the FB auctions. I’ve often not charged enough for stand in the past but will def be asking for this stands worth. If I don’t sell it though, I’ll have a sweet stand to use for my own trees!

Thanks for looking!

View attachment 525925View attachment 525926View attachment 525927View attachment 525928View attachment 525929View attachment 525930View attachment 525931View attachment 525932
Looks amazing, wow

which I know @Bonsai Nut is a complicated topic of conversation in the wood world
I may have missed the memo... I know about the few "impostors" but nothing that can not be clearly identified. I think the only one that is very similar is the African Mahogany.

I love working with mahogany, in Puerto Rico it is called caoba. My grand father made furniture with it, and I have used it for guitars. I did work with lauan (Philippine mahogany) but it is entirely different and I don't even know where some people came up with it as a substitute for mahogany.

Yours do look like South American mahogany, Honduras... whateveryouwanttocallit... especially the center piece.

To me the live edge clashes with the reddish center piece, but that also makes it appealing, oxymoron I know. I also thing that the recurve on both joints add a lot of appeal to the bench.

Absolutely beautiful. And the story about the wood being passed down by your grandpa is really special!

Awesome work Danny!

I may have missed the memo... I know about the few "impostors" but nothing that can not be clearly identified. I think the only one that is very similar is the African Mahogany.

I love working with mahogany, in Puerto Rico it is called caoba. My grand father made furniture with it, and I have used it for guitars. I did work with lauan (Philippine mahogany) but it is entirely different and I don't even know where some people came up with it as a substitute for mahogany.

Yours do look like South American mahogany, Honduras... whateveryouwanttocallit... especially the center piece.

To me the live edge clashes with the reddish center piece, but that also makes it appealing, oxymoron I know. I also thing that the recurve on both joints add a lot of appeal to the bench.
I’m typically not a fan of exotic woods. I prefer the look and idea of native varieties. I also don’t typically like to work many exotics. Much harder on my tools and the dust isn’t near as pleasant. I don’t have a ton of insight into Mahogany varieties, I just know it can be complicated.

I’m typically not a fan of exotic woods. I prefer the look and idea of native varieties. I also don’t typically like to work many exotics. Much harder on my tools and the dust isn’t near as pleasant. I don’t have a ton of insight into Mahogany varieties, I just know it can be complicated.
I understand, most of the work I have done is with exotics, as that is what sells in the luthier realm. If you ever decide to use it again, or a customer asks for, try to stay with the Honduran or African variety... all the other ones are over the 1000 mark on the janka scale. Below is an interesting article on mahogany woods.

In 2004 I had a Canadian luthier named Julian Tubb build me a dobro from Sapele, at the time also sold as African [or Nigerian] ribbon mahogany. The thing is a tone cannon, precisely because of the density and the uniformity of the grain. When I had an acoustic band, my sound tech hated it because it was so flipping loud.

Back
Top Bottom