New kotohime maple and first ebay pick up.

timeleft

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First off, Hello! I'm new and excited to be a part of the community. I took a gamble and purchased my first eBay tree recently. A kotohime maple

8cPVWpF.jpg

n2i6yS4l.jpg

PKhbsZ5l.jpg

5B2XFGSl.jpg

I repotted into a slightly larger container but left the roots intact. Not sure what direction to take with it yet but figured it would make a good intro. I think I paid 23$ shipped but in my area have had difficulty finding quality acer stock to work with (I am still very much in the early learning phases).

thanks for looking

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well Japanese Maples are my favorites, so you started with a good tree IMO. DO NOT go all crazy picking at it and trying to style it. Slip potting up to a larger container probably wasn't a bad idea. What did you use for potting soil?

Prolly needs to grow out for years to develop a trunk before you style it a bunch. These are cold hardy trees but will need som protection in your area in the winter- an UNheated garage or shed should work. Keep it in moderate shade for now, and slowly progress into moderate sun in the next few weeks.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice little tree(s). Looks like a taproot is still growing heavy down there? Work the roots good in spring.

If you must do something impatient.(a rookie surething) I would take a cutting of that branch reaching out to sip the pop. Everything under it looks like a good start to a lil shohin. It'll Let them get some light and enegry.

You can air layer the top(s) off later after they fatten that lil shohin.

Sorce

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Time, congratulations on your find, a nice one! It's young so anything that you do now to help the growing process will reap big dividends down the road. Covering the exposed roots will help build a better nebari by encouraging more small roots at the base.

Attachments

• bnutmaple.jpg
    bnutmaple.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 22

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice tree at a very good price, comparitivly.
Those are seriously slow growing, and keep a very compact habit. They will root cuttings fairly easily, so whatever comes off it can be plunged into soil and could likely grow.
I would get it into the ground soon so that it can get larger sooner. If kept in a pot it could easily be 10 years before the trunk is the size of your finger. Bill Valavanis has some great examples and quite possibly has the tree that yours might be traced to. Seek out his website for more info on Kotohime.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Love it. Looks like you got a very good starter there.

I am contemplating now if I should get one! (If I do, it's your fault!) LOL :p

timeleft

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you all for the great replies! I was very excited to see the tree have such good qualities and even more excited when i received it and it was the very same tree (i've read some horror stories...)

I repotted with my own mix of local nursery bonsai mix (which is essentially this: (http://www.amazon.com/Hoffman-10708-Bonsai-Soil-Quarts/dp/B00147Z8S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406050949&sr=8-1&keywords=bonsai+soil+mix), small grit, and akadama. Probably 50% soil mix/25 small grit/25 small akadama. I had difficulty finding local high grade soil and this mix has been working for the last several months on my trees.

I opted to not trim anything on the plant initially and based on your reactions that seems to have been the right call :cool: I have been reading some of Valavanis's responses online and he actually sort of convinced to be go that route. I will have to look up more. So far I've been keeping the tree in partial shade (with some morning sun) and it has reacted well.

I was worried to plant into the ground at this point in the season and figured I would be patient and see how things turn out. I will update with photos soon

Top Bottom