New Bonsai Chinese elm

Thanks for making me feel like I can't

Why? :D

I've belonged to a local club for years, but I still find very useful info and interesting contributions here, one doesn't exclude the other, sorry if you misunderstood what I meant.

I went to Garland's in Corvallis (can't recommend enough!) And bought a Chinese elm in a pot. Looks to me to be about 5 years old (I could and probably am so WRONG). I enjoy the trunk which is why I bought it but upon further inspection it looks like it was planted quite deep in the pot?

I also don't see any wire keeping it in the pot? Is this normal? It only has one drain hole on the bottom so maybe that's why it's potted so deep? It's about an inch and a half of digging before I see roots.

I don't want to repot it any time soon but I would like to be able to see the roots as some point.
Sorry for the bad pictures, morning light is way too bright for photography lol. Don't mind my badly painted nails!

Have a good day and y'all are so helpful and I appreciate all of you!!
New to Bonsai my chinese Elm had 8 months now,always wanted to try it
,not sure how to prune but whats best way to get your shape

Attachments

• 20190819_150255.jpg
    20190819_150255.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190620_172536.jpg
    20190620_172536.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 16
I've belonged to a local club for years, but I still find very useful info and interesting contributions here, one doesn't exclude the other, sorry if you misunderstood what I meant.
I agree with AlainK. I have belonged to Bonsai clubs before, and if I had a local club (nearest one to me is almost 2hrs drive away), or could afford a mentor, I would be all over it.
There is a lot of value you can get from BN, most importantly opinions from all over the world (not just local knowledge/tradition). It may not always be useful, and can often be contradictory, but you can't discount the value of getting input from such a diverse group of bonsai people (some of them you probably could not afford if you went to them directly).
On the other hand, face to face and hands on, has value that you simply can not equal via the internet, so a local club, group, or mentor is a good thing to have and complements what you get from BN.

There is a lot of value you can get from BN, most importantly opinions from all over the world (not just local knowledge/tradition). It may not always be useful, and can often be contradictory, but you can't discount the value of getting input from such a diverse group of bonsai people (some of them you probably could not afford if you went to them directly).
On the other hand, face to face and hands on, has value that you simply can not equal via the internet, so a local club, group, or mentor is a good thing to have and complements what you get from BN.

Thanks, that's exactly what I meant.

Short story:

I've always been interested in plants and other cultures.

A friend of mine was a fan of Japanese culture, he made me discover Kawabata, Mishima, Mizogushi,... and also bonsaI. His were about as good as a beginner's in the 1980s in France, but to me they looked wonderful, and I took the virus.

I "practised" for about ten years, from books.

Then in the late nineties, I bought a second-hand computer (MacIntosh Performa 200 I sold at a a carboot sale for somethg like $10), and very soon, came the internet and the first forums. There I found the FFB (Fédération Française de Bonsaï) and a FFB local club.

I learned more in a few months than in more than ten years!

Taking part in another community-oriented activity on the same subject, even if it's "virtual" just adds to what you know, shows different options and opinions. Yet, Here, where I live, what my friends/mates/pals/copains-copines/Freunden-Freuderinen (?) (:D : sehr schwer zu remember mein zwo yaren Deutsch wenn ich war 12-13) can teach me is indispensable.

Back
Top Bottom