New bonasi

wvandam

Seed
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I'm growing a bonasi tree. I don't know which it is and need help identifying it.

I also have them as seedlings. They are a few weeks old. And came on a small cylinder greenhouse. I read the instructions I should transplant all seedlings in separate small pots. Is this true. I have 4 seedlings same plant. They are about a 1/4 inch above the starter green house that came in the kit to plant them in. Amy help would be great.

Attachments

• 17138502178868422868185661370449.jpg
    17138502178868422868185661370449.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 39

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Welcome! I had a kit just like that, except they were Sequoia trees.

Those are some type of pine.

Yes, I think you'll want to carefully transplant them each into separate pots. I think standard 4" pots would be fine. I would recommend the same soil (probably coco coir or peat + large perlite). Make sure to water right away, then only water when the top of the soil is dry.

Make sure they are outside, as they won't last long indoors. They need sun and fresh air.

Good luck!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Definitely time to transplant those little pines into individual pots so they have room to grow. There's no need to be careful when transplanting seedlings. First transplant is an ideal opportunity to cut roots to promote a more lateral, surface root system on your new trees. I always cut the 'tap' root just below a cluster of side roots. If there's no side roots I still cut the main root to a few cm from the coloured stem. Pruning roots does not hurt a seedling. It just stimulates more roots to grow near the cut.
All of my pine seedlings go straight into 4" diameter pots.
Definitely outside. Pines need the full sun and fresh air and even small seedlings are hardy to all but the coldest weather.

It's worth adding a location to your profile as much of what we do is linked to seasons. Knowing where you are helps others offer appropriate advice on when as well as what to do.

wvandam

Seed
Reaction score
Definitely time to transplant those little pines into individual pots so they have room to grow. There's no need to be careful when transplanting seedlings. First transplant is an ideal opportunity to cut roots to promote a more lateral, surface root system on your new trees. I always cut the 'tap' root just below a cluster of side roots. If there's no side roots I still cut the main root to a few cm from the coloured stem. Pruning roots does not hurt a seedling. It just stimulates more roots to grow near the cut.
All of my pine seedlings go straight into 4" diameter pots.
Definitely outside. Pines need the full sun and fresh air and even small seedlings are hardy to all but the coldest weather.

It's worth adding a location to your profile as much of what we do is linked to seasons. Knowing where you are helps others offer appropriate advice on when as well as what to do.
Thanks so much! I am in Logan Utah and wil for sure put that on my account. I’m not familiar with cutting roots though

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I’m not familiar with cutting roots though
Many newbies are scared that cutting roots will kill a seedling. Nothing further from the truth. Like pruning a branch above ground, pruning a root will make the tree grow more new roots. That applies whether the tree is a few days or years old. My experience is that young seedlings are even better at replacing roots than older plants.

Before and after trimming small pine seedling at first transplant.
CH110287.JPGCH110288.JPG

Even if the seedling doesn't have any lateral roots yet the root can still be cut.
CH110296.JPGCH110298.JPG

Bothe the trees shown survived and went on to develop better nebari because the long root was cut at first transplant but I understand if you are reluctant to try with your very first babies.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks so much! I am in Logan Utah and wil for sure put that on my account. I’m not familiar with cutting roots though

Welcome to the site. It’s always nice to have another Utahn on the site. I live in Alpine so if you have any questions I’m happy to answer them.

Top Bottom