New arrive- Ficus retusa

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Put some sphagum moss in a bag or yogurt container and fashion it where you want the roots to grow (maybe you could also use peat or coconut shredding, something like that). You can cut the bark away to the heartwood but I have found that it is often unnecessary on figs/ficus. You can just set it up and keep an eye on it. If you are worried, just don't cut the bark and see if it roots over the winter. If you have grow lights, it may root just fine. Check it out in the spring, if it didn't root, set it up again but cut a ring in the bark to encourage the new roots.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Put some sphagum moss in a bag or yogurt container and fashion it where you want the roots to grow (maybe you could also use peat or coconut shredding, something like that). You can cut the bark away to the heartwood but I have found that it is often unnecessary on figs/ficus. You can just set it up and keep an eye on it. If you are worried, just don't cut the bark and see if it roots over the winter. If you have grow lights, it may root just fine. Check it out in the spring, if it didn't root, set it up again but cut a ring in the bark to encourage the new roots.
Thank you very much, probably I will try without cut, otherwise next spring I will do the cut....

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you very much, probably I will try without cut, otherwise next spring I will do the cut....
I had a fig that rooted without one but several that didn't. It really depends on conditions. The other thing you might consider is a metal band/heavy wire around the trunk to start the process and that will make it swell. That might help move things in the right direction while it is not in an active growing season.

Top Bottom