Natures Way RMJ

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here is a Rocky Mountain Juniper I purchased from Jim Doyle at the National Show several years ago. I must have went to Jim’s table 15 times before I pulled the trigger. I don’t know why it took me so long - it was an awesome tree. Perhaps it came from Randy Knight originally - I know Jim sometimes purchases Randy’s material. It lived at a friends place in Asheville until I relocated. After I settled in Virginia, he dropped it off. Here are some pictures of the tree at purchase.

79A319E1-237C-40C1-A3B8-8E7E7911586B.jpeg1FDC2B85-D40A-4B76-9015-94CDD3544A4F.jpegC392277C-606D-48EB-816B-F45DD9DB004F.jpegF4889465-DE83-4110-AFC2-84E5C4B4FB64.jpegCD1E4BC6-BF84-42BC-9FB1-C8B0893BF55D.jpeg2C14E5EC-ED92-46A7-8B66-3F195B4CECD6.jpeg

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Today was the first repot since collection - and an opportunity to change the position. I was looking to rotate the tree significantly and needed to see if the roots could handle it. It required sone mounding, but I was able to significantly change the potting angle. It was the first repot since collection, so I did not remove many roots and cleaned out some of the old field soil. Here’s the new potting angle.
39CFC66F-006E-4070-9A27-C8FC08D945F9.jpeg

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Holy smokes! What’s beast! Really interesting movement and deadwood. Awesome tree, Scott.

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fantastic piece.

For years, @Walter Pall would go to Randy Knight to select a truckload of collected trees that'd make its way to Nature's Way a few months later, maybe this tree was part of such a shipment.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Fantastic piece.

For years, @Walter Pall would go to Randy Knight to select a truckload of collected trees that'd make its way to Nature's Way a few months later, maybe this tree was part of such a shipment.
That’s my guess. I’ll ask Jim in April- I’ll be up there then. It’s possible that he’ll remember this tree.

Scott

kamai966

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Today was the first repot since collection - and an opportunity to change the position. I was looking to rotate the tree significantly and needed to see if the roots could handle it. It required sone mounding, but I was able to significantly change the potting angle. It was the first repot since collection, so I did not remove many roots and cleaned out some of the old field soil. Here’s the new potting angle.
View attachment 471803
Junipers are great when it comes to bending and cascading...Awesome purchase.

Perplexody

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I couldn't tell before the last set of pics but this tree is much smaller than it looks. the angle you planted it really helps over the original orientation

I've met Jim and Im only an hour away from natures way but I've never been. I really need to go if Jim has trees like this

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like another Texas shohin kind of tree. Am not a fan of juniper but this one looks pretty good.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Graft it with ERC foliage.

Joking of course. I love the new planting angle and ditto on the original pictures making it look giant!!!

So you treat the deadwood with something like spar varnish after lime sulfur treatment?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Graft it with ERC foliage.

Joking of course. I love the new planting angle and ditto on the original pictures making it look giant!!!

So you treat the deadwood with something like spar varnish after lime sulfur treatment?
I use a two part clear penetrating epoxy. I’ll let the lime sulfur fade for a few weeks and then give the deadwood a couple of coats. It has a bit of a shine right after using it that fades flat after a couple of months. So don’t apply it right before a show.

S

Top Bottom