Name of maple?

kiwimaple

Sapling
Reaction score
This thing here has me head scratching. It's a grafted Toyama nishiki but has reverted back to original state which is beautiful and unique in its own right. Does anyone know what Toyama reverts too? I'd like to bud it to make more.
IMG20240106154636.jpg

Doesn't appear that its reverted, variegation is very inconsistent and can be attributed to a lot of factors like sun exposure, various elements, if the tree is feeling particularly capricious.... you get the drift. In my exposure with Ukigumo, it seemed that growth later in the season had a better showing of white, probably not a conclusive set of data in and of itself though.

Doesn't appear that its reverted, variegation is very inconsistent and can be attributed to a lot of factors like sun exposure, various elements, if the tree is feeling particularly capricious.... you get the drift. In my exposure with Ukigumo, it seemed that growth later in the season had a better showing of white, probably not a conclusive set of data in and of itself though.
I can assure you it is reverted, grafted them ourselves and out of three, two reverted. We know it reverts alot of the time, just wanted to know what it reverts back to. Thanks I appreciate your reply

I can assure you it is reverted, grafted them ourselves and out of three, two reverted. We know it reverts alot of the time, just wanted to know what it reverts back to. Thanks I appreciate your reply
I suppose I'm confused why looking up Toyama Nishiki as a cultivar looks precisely like the foliage on this outside of lacking the white variegation?

I suppose I'm confused why looking up Toyama Nishiki as a cultivar looks precisely like the foliage on this outside of lacking the white variegation?
Haha yeah, photos don't do justice. We have a few true Toyama growing at the moment. They've even got marbled bark on occasion. Similar to ashai but not as easy to see

Can you explain what you mean by "revert"?
I second this question. My first impression was that you meant it reverted to the rootstock, but then it would be whatever the rootstock was (presumably plain vanilla JM). But maybe that's not what you meant

I second this question. My first impression was that you meant it reverted to the rootstock, but then it would be whatever the rootstock was (presumably plain vanilla JM). But maybe that's not what you meant
It possibly got discovered as a sport ( a mutation on an existing variety) collected, grafted, multiplied, but then the odd time they try to turn back to the original parent. For example, years ago shirazz was a freak branch of geisha gone wild and has been propogated and produced to be its own variety, shirazz reverts but not nearly as often as some others i know. Butterfly reverts back into what looks like plain palmatum so I'm assuming it was a freak branch off a mountain maple. But I'm not sure with the butterfly

It possibly got discovered as a sport ( a mutation on an existing variety) collected, grafted, multiplied, but then the odd time they try to turn back to the original parent. For example, years ago shirazz was a freak branch of geisha gone wild and has been propogated and produced to be its own variety, shirazz reverts but not nearly as often as some others i know. Butterfly reverts back into what looks like plain palmatum so I'm assuming it was a freak branch off a mountain maple. But I'm not sure with the butterfly
Who knew?

Butterfly reverts back into what looks like plain palmatum so I'm assuming it was a freak branch off a mountain maple. But I'm not sure with the butterfly
If Butterfly reverts, it is just a small branch at a time that is easily pruned off. Are you saying ALL the foliage reverted?

Very interesting. Let me see if I can track down the cultivar registration...
Awesome, next time I'm near the butterfly I'll take a photo, the only other explanation is we accidentally collected stored and grafted palmatum scion in the butterfly wood

Back
Top Bottom