Myrtle madness

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It has only taken me 4 years to come to the realization that I'm in love with crape myrtles.. Currently have 4 , more sizeable trees, not including this lot I just pulled in.

Given my climate, they take severe chopping, root pruning, and defoliation techniques like a boss and they are relatively easy to over-winter. Not to mention, if you give them what they need they grow like gang busters. Nuff said.

So today I went deal hunting for just about anything that would catch my eye and low and behold I brought home 5 crapes for 3$ a peice...

Thinking of a possible 5 tree group planting or maybe a 3 tree and a couple singles. All of which will be in the shohin size.

Not spectacular pictures, but I willupdate as soon as spring hits with chops and repotting.

As always thoughts and suggestions welcomed!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 100

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It has only taken me 4 years to come to the realization that I'm in love with crape myrtles.. Currently have 4 , more sizeable trees, not including this lot I just pulled in.

Given my climate, they take severe chopping, root pruning, and defoliation techniques like a boss and they are relatively easy to over-winter. Not to mention, if you give them what they need they grow like gang busters. Nuff said.

So today I went deal hunting for just about anything that would catch my eye and low and behold I brought home 5 crapes for 3$ a peice...

Thinking of a possible 5 tree group planting or maybe a 3 tree and a couple singles. All of which will be in the shohin size.

Not spectacular pictures, but I willupdate as soon as spring hits with chops and repotting.

As always thoughts and suggestions welcomed!
Only 4! I'm crazy about them as well. Have a number of them including one I've had for 31 years. Have been growing it all that time just to get a good trunk. You got a good deal on 'em. I'd bet that you're going to find pretty good rootage under the soil. Never thought of multiple tree plantings, but, it might be cool! Let us see more in the spring...............SK

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice. I'm just down the road in goochland. I have about 10 of them too. Can't resist those deals either.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lovely avatar you have there VA! ;)

Thanks man. Did you check out the pic in the fall colors thread? The colors were so nice that morning that I decided to take a few quick phone pics while I was waiting for the dog to do his thing. I never even noticed the dog crap photo bomb until I looked at the pics on a computer. Pretty funny...

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks man. Did you check out the pic in the fall colors thread? The colors were so nice that morning that I decided to take a few quick phone pics while I was waiting for the dog to do his thing. I never even noticed the dog crap photo bomb until I looked at the pics on a computer. Pretty funny...
Ima have to go back and look for it now!

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Have you been to the gardeners nursery? Right at 288 and 250

Many times. Although that place requires a time commitment. That guy will talk your head off for hours.

I've had better luck just down the road at Strange's or at The Great Big Greenhouse.

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Many times. Although that place requires a time commitment. That guy will talk your head off for hours.

I've had better luck just down the road at Strange's or at The Great Big Greenhouse.

For some reason or another, I just caught this. Lol and yes, Andy looooves to chat. But he's a great guy so I don't mind (knowingly going there to spend considerable time)

Wealth of material there. I actually just came around to checking out the azaleas. Monster trunks! I picked up a few. I also tagged a huge myrtle and privet in the healing grounds. Trunk had to be 7-8 in diameter on the myrtle. Come on spring!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 54

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Would love to see this tree today if you still have it, the first one in post 9.

Top Bottom