BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi Corey,
You’re very welcome.
Not sure if I mentioned it or not, but what I also did was:
1). I looked-up online where the Sun is positioned during the shortest day of the year (in my exact location), then I pitched the South wall at about 59 degrees from horizontal, in order to maximize the Winter Sun.
2). I found out exactly where True South is as opposed to Magnetic South, and I turned/faced the greenhouse either 11 or 13 degrees toward the South East (can’t remember which it is), also in order to maximize the Winter Sun.
It might sound difficult, but if you get a good compass, it’s a piece of cake.
I actually used three different compasses, to TRIPLE CHECK my readings!!! LOL…
I purchased a compass, I also used the compass app on my phone, and I was also able to borrow a military compass from a local Army Navy store. I offered to buy it, but the owner said “No problem, there’s no need to spend that much money for ONE OR TWO CALCULATIONS, be my guest to borrow it for a few days”!
Being he wouldn’t take any money, I brought the store a box of donuts and a box of Joe, as my thank you! Then when I returned there to drop-off some fresh veggies then next season, UNFORTUNATELY the Army Navy store was closed for good.
Those two simple mods will help you dramatically, if you’re looking to grow in the Winter months or just looking to extend your growing season.

Enjoy the built!!!
Ben

Top Bottom