My Tiniest tree, What are you trying that's new??

newby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

newby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thank you. Canada Bonsai still has one for sale on his web site.

newby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I got some erodium a couple of months ago, bought some small pots and the tiny pot was an extra they threw in. After my cuttings threw out some roots I put one of them in the smallest of pot.

Since it's so new I'm fighting the urge to trim off all the leaves and have them grow back small at first without so much stem.

They root exceptionally easy. Buy one plant and you'll get 7-10 depending on how much you cut it back. This is my first venture into the world of tiny trees. I want a mud man who looks like he's working on a tree to combine with this little guy.

Trying something new keeps the hobby fresh and interesting for me...What are you trying that's new??!!
I had an Erodium in a not-very-happy trough garden. You inspired me to rescue it and treat it as a bonsai! I have a nice little cascade, and a bunch of cuttings to play with, photos to follow if it survives.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I got some erodium a couple of months ago, bought some small pots and the tiny pot was an extra they threw in. After my cuttings threw out some roots I put one of them in the smallest of pot.

Since it's so new I'm fighting the urge to trim off all the leaves and have them grow back small at first without so much stem.

They root exceptionally easy. Buy one plant and you'll get 7-10 depending on how much you cut it back. This is my first venture into the world of tiny trees. I want a mud man who looks like he's working on a tree to combine with this little guy.

Trying something new keeps the hobby fresh and interesting for me...What are you trying that's new??!!
I’ve been wanting to get into the shito bonsai. I’ve seen some erodiums online. I live in The Florida Keys though. Are they suitable for a tropical climate? And I don’t even know where to get one. I wanted to try some bougies with some root cuttings. Might be the only species we have here to do this with or maybe a ficus.

Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b
@cockroach those elms rule!
I purchased this lil red alder from @JEads Left Coast Bonsai at the Farm to Table seminar held by BSOP two springs ago? I just removed the sacrificial poodle branch, hoping for finished height under 10cm.
IMG_7630.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7628.jpeg
    IMG_7628.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7629.jpeg
    IMG_7629.jpeg
    322.5 KB · Views: 27

newby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
How do you overwinter mame? I have several native species tinies. If they were bigger I would bury the pot in my vegetable bed but this doesn't seem feasible with the 2 inch ones!
For reference, I have picea glauca, acer rubrum, larix and a tiny elm as well as oak seedlings. Location is zone 5- central Ontario

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
How do you overwinter mame? I have several native species tinies. If they were bigger I would bury the pot in my vegetable bed but this doesn't seem feasible with the 2 inch ones!
For reference, I have picea glauca, acer rubrum, larix and a tiny elm as well as oak seedlings. Location is zone 5- central Ontario
My winter cold temps are pretty mild. I put everything in my daughters playhouse and cover with a tarp. My stuff thats in tiny pots live together in larger containers filled with pumice to insulate in winter and stay moist during warm weather. If I lived where you are I might use styrofoam coolers to store them in.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My winter cold temps are pretty mild. I put everything in my daughters playhouse and cover with a tarp. My stuff thats in tiny pots live together in larger containers filled with pumice to insulate in winter and stay moist during warm weather. If I lived where you are I might use styrofoam coolers to store them in.
Unheated basement, shed or garage would also be ideal.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You could fill a lot the size used for your bigger trees with substrate. Embed one or more mame in it and then bury the works in your vegetable bed.

Top Bottom