my new Christmas pots!

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wife got me these. I like the color of them all... I just need to figure out how to put holes in the bottom of them...

She didn't realize they need it and felt horrible after.

Attachments

• 20151226_094712.jpg
    20151226_094712.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 91

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
figure out how to put holes in the bottom
Don't use a hammer and a punch :)
Masonry bit in your drill, spritz with water, go slow especially just before you pop through to the other side.
Hardest part is getting the bit to start where you want it to, as it will wander around on the glaze. Maybe try scratching the glaze with a sharp blade/screwdriver/masonry nail to get it started.
CW

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Some folks actually submerge the pot in water while drilling. Go slow. There are bits made for glass, Search here and Google for specific info on bits. Good Luck.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Check out "porcelain bits". I gather a bucket of sand, turn the pot over and work it into the sand until the bot is filled, and drill CAREFULLY! from the underside. Porcelain bits are usually fairly small. You may have to make a closely spaced triangle of smaller holes, the chip out the rest until you have a 3/4 inch hole. I would not bother with the brown one; you would have to break it when you repot, anyway.

Better yet . . . EXCHANGE them.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use a carbide-tipped circular saw at slow speed with water. Do you know what the pots are made of? That would help. I have used the bit mentioned on porcelain with good success.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Those holes LanceMac shows are too small to do anything but get clogged up. OK for anchor wires.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It wouldn't hurt to tape the back too.

But I might be with exchange em....

Definitely with......don't use the round one!

Sorce

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ya I wasn't going to really use the round one... tops tapered and would would be a pain. Thanks guys on the info I'll stop at homedepot and grab a bit for it...

She told me there was 1 she looked at that had mica in it... it's was around 40 or $50 so she thought it seemed kinda expensive for a pot so she didn't know if it was something I would really put a plant in :confused:

But I still love her and I'm super glad she's trying :D

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do this still to this day. My daughter picks stuff up at garage sales or thrift shops and brings them to me to use.
I use them because she gets them for me. The one problem with most ceramics is once you bore the hole moisture gets in an then they crack when they freeze.
I dont do expensive pots either. I get most of mine from Hollow Creek Bonsai. I like plain and functional. No fancy glazes or shapes. In the link Sorce gave I saw 3 pots I liked. And they were too small for anything I have.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hey crack when they freeze.

Very good point.....

You could Probly superglue seal it.....
But at that point......

Man, Chuck has moved away from that simple style I like too....

Hey....bits and Chuck....!

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Man, Chuck has moved away from that simple style I like too....

If you call Iker and say you need a pot size, then describe the finish you like he will discuss it and make 2 -3. He sends you an email with pictures to choose from if you like any. If not he sells them on his site anyways. Serious nice to work with though.

Grimmy

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Some of those "primitive accent" pots look like they should have guacamole in them!
Edit: Maybe it's just 'cause I'm Californian, but they look very familiar :)
image.jpeg

There are also some pots there that I find absolutely beautiful.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol.....this lady at my work grew an avocado to about 6ft! She was moving so we got it in the basement. I wrote...
"Guacamole tree" on a leaf...with a sharpie! For the scientifical record....the leaf is fine!

@GrimLore that's a great bit of info!

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Some of those "primitive accent" pots look like they should have guacamole in them!
Edit: Maybe it's just 'cause I'm Californian, but they look very familiar :)

I agree and have only ever visited out West ;) Everything we have ordered from him looks nothing like what appears to be his newer offerings. No glaze, subtle designs and colors is what we both prefer in my house.

Grimmy

Top Bottom