My large pomegranate

Mr.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was fortunate that @bonhe was selling one of his cuttings. I repotted this in a nursery container about 1 in. bigger in all dimensions. Since it is a very large trunk and recently rooted I just combed out about an inch of the rootball and kept the planting angle about the same. I wanted to stand it up more but I didn't want to change the angle too drastically this time because the roots were pretty fine. I also wired the branches down and out. I kept more than I will eventually use, partly because I didn't want to remove too many branches at this point. If I can/should remove more please let me hear your opinions. Bonhe was kind enough to prepare a couple sketches of 2 pleasing trunk lines. 20180203_110012.jpg20180203_110012.jpg20180203_134314.jpg20180203_110039.jpg20180203_134323.jpg20180203_111330.jpg20180203_134114.jpgthis last image is more of the angle I'm looking at .probably leaning forward more as well 20180203_134138.jpg

Attachments

• 20180203_134314.jpg
    20180203_134314.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 13

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was fortunate that @bonhe was selling one of his cuttings. I repotted this in a nursery container about 1 in. bigger in all dimensions. Since it is a very large trunk and recently rooted I just combed out about an inch of the rootball and kept the planting angle about the same. I wanted to stand it up more but I didn't want to change the angle too drastically this time because the roots were pretty fine. I also wired the branches down and out. I kept more than I will eventually use, partly because I didn't want to remove too many branches at this point. If I can/should remove more please let me hear your opinions. Bonhe was kind enough to prepare a couple sketches of 2 pleasing trunk lines. View attachment 176443View attachment 176443View attachment 176452View attachment 176453View attachment 176454View attachment 176447View attachment 176448this last image is more of the angle I'm looking at .probably leaning forward more as well View attachment 176449
Thanks for taking this exceptional one from me. As JudyB said, I have so many big trees, so I start letting them go slowly! It has a lot of roots! I think you are doing in the right track. Please give it a lot of fertilizer with high N and direct sunlight at least few hours a day , it will explode in this spring and summer. In the summer, you can remove the unnecessary branches. You also need to pay attention to the wired branches to make sure no cut mark. In the next winter you can prune back the branches to 2-3 nodes. Good luck to you. I believe it will be a very nice Bonsai later on.
Bonhe

Mr.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for the tips! And thank you for the opportunity to work with this. To get a sense of size it stands 2 ft 4 and almost 6in at the base

Mr.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here is a look at the tree 2 years on....20210207_132738.jpg20210207_132742.jpg20210207_133152.jpg

The picture looking up at the bottom shows where I was able to remove all the sand up to the trunk. @bonhe rooted this as a cutting in sand. Only 1 root was going through this area.

Mr.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was able to find a appropriate sized pot,in my price range, at House of Bonsai. Over the last 2 years the tree leaned over from it's own weight, but I liked the angle so that is the direction I'm headed with this. I didn't have to trim any roots, but I did have to cut a couple pieces of 2x4 to prop up the tree at the proper angle.

20210207_140341.jpg20210207_140350.jpg

I would have liked to lean it forward more, but I compromised this repot as the angle of the existing roots didn't let me go any farther to the front.
I will trim the long shoots from last season and wire them down as time permits.....

Mr.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The bottom "branch" will be carved at some point, but for now I let the shoots on it run to keep the tree healthy and to produce more roots.....

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I liked it better when it was more upright. I don't think this angle will work well long term.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was able to find a appropriate sized pot,in my price range, at House of Bonsai. Over the last 2 years the tree leaned over from it's own weight, but I liked the angle so that is the direction I'm headed with this. I didn't have to trim any roots, but I did have to cut a couple pieces of 2x4 to prop up the tree at the proper angle.

View attachment 355802View attachment 355803

I would have liked to lean it forward more, but I compromised this repot as the angle of the existing roots didn't let me go any farther to the front.
I will trim the long shoots from last season and wire them down as time permits.....
Very nice Mr. E. Thank for taking a good care of it! I actually like this angle. I have one with the angle is exactly as same as yours. The one I have, I had to use a copper wire to hold it in place, and took about one year for the tree to stabilize. With your wood block, it should be fine.
You can remove whatever branches don't need to final design at this time and start wiring the remaining branches soon.
Good work Mr. E. I like it.
Thụ Thoại

Mr.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I liked it better when it was more upright. I don't think this angle will work well long term.
Thanks for the reply, Don. You might be right, I can always change the angle next time once it has enough roots to support itself.

Mr.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Very nice Mr. E. Thank for taking a good care of it! I actually like this angle. I have one with the angle is exactly as same as yours. The one I have, I had to use a copper wire to hold it in place, and took about one year for the tree to stabilize. With your wood block, it should be fine.
You can remove whatever branches don't need to final design at this time and start wiring the remaining branches soon.
Good work Mr. E. I like it.
Thụ Thoại
Thanks Bonhe, I'll post once I wire. I might ask for your help carving the deadwood in a year or two......

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
With your wood block, it should be fine.
I would consider using a piece of wood that rests on the front and back pot walls rather than the soil. Wire the wood in place and it will be more stable than the block sitting on the soil surface. And you can wire your tree to it for more stability.

Mr.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
1614005404949965033912.jpg
I should have elaborated more on the wood blocks. I used two separate pieces that were cut to the right size to hold the tree into position, and they do rest on the bottom or side of the pot. Then I wired the tree down as normal to the pot from the drainage holes. The whole setup is secure and there is no wiggle, if it does shift I will wire the wood as well, I didn't really consider that so thanks for the input!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would consider using a piece of wood that rests on the front and back pot walls rather than the soil. Wire the wood in place and it will be more stable than the block sitting on the soil surface. And you can wire your tree to it for more stability.
To avoid sightseeing, once in a while I actually buried the wood block beneath the soil surface without ill effect ! Like this large pome, when I made a big cutting, i placed it in the pot with exact angle as it is at this time. I placed 2 wood blocks to support the trunk beneath the soil surface. When I transplanted it to the current pot 2 years later, its rootage was perfect and wood blocks were not decayed at all!
B60BEC24-4723-4535-8CC7-7A9267F839A7.jpeg
By the way, Mr. E, this one is one of brothers of your tree😊
Thụ Thoại

Top Bottom