My JBP #2

Reaction score
I took the advice of some wise people and actually purchased my first real bonsai last summer. Everything up to this point was seedlings and twigs http://bonsainut.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.png I figured I'd drop a pic or two off and ask what you guys think.

I'm very new to doing actual work on bonsai, so I think I am going to order one of Boon's videos and take it from there. I can't afford the whole set, so it's going to have to be one video at a time. Potting is fine (still in the pot it came in), and I asked Boon what he would suggest next and he said fall maintenance, followed by decandling. I'll leave wiring and styling for next year :)

As always, I'm very open to suggestions and input, as I am very new to this.

IMG_20120301_181418.jpg

IMG_20120301_181400.jpg

I'm sorry, I can't tell much from your pictures, I would like to see the trunk, the most important aspect of a JBP.

Harry

looks good looking forward to see trunk better.

IMHO:
low branch under first trunk bend should be grown out to continue/improve taper. following clasical pine design eg branch at first trunk bend branch at second trunk bend, again all depends on design direction, and how long you want to wait for finished (ish) tree. Following classical rules you have great start. lots of options with this one great find

is there a branch at vertex of first trunk bend?

possibly chase apex down to first set of branches? leaving one for apex others for side branches, will also improve taper at apex.

possibly chase back at vertex of apex?

unsure about set of branches in middle of second trunk segment?

at second look:
chop after first branch at second trunk segment, train branch into new apex.

again lots of options.

Kayme,

I also did the same thing last month and purchased a zuisho JWP that was air-layered. It feels great to have material to finally refinement techniques. But I must say, there's a very distinct satisfaction and joy in growing and creating your own work!

Your tree has nice movement in the trunk, which is its best asset, and should be the first thing the viewer sees. I would start by choosing a front (IMO picture 1) and select branches on which to create foliage pads. You don't need to grow out this tree anymore, but you may want to cut back the overly thick 2nd lowest branch and remove the lowest branch. Do a google search for some impressive Taikan-ten or Kofuku-ten JBP in Japan, and study their trunk line and branch structure.

One thing I noticed on bonsai in Japan is that they have finer branching structure than what I've seen in the states. Full sun--all the time, applying needle-reduction techniques at the right time in your locale, and organic fertilizer. Let the tree gradually fill out. Don't rush it, and have fun!:D

This would make a nice progression!

T

Last edited:
It appears to have nice movement, but I would still like to see pictures of the trunk and branch structure behind the foliage.

Harry

A few of the branching inbetween the base and the apex

IMG_20120302_165811.jpg

IMG_20120302_165847.jpg

And one of the apex

IMG_20120302_165820.jpg

And one overhead shot

IMG_20120302_165859.jpg

There is a good scar in there, just trying to show that one off

IMG_20120302_165917.jpg

Nice movement and branch placement. I wouldn't be in a hurry to chop anything. I would consider compressing the trunk at the second bend, by bringing the third section down a bit closer to the second.

Lol, I'm very hesitant to chop at this point. There is a little bit too much going on in quite a few spots, but I'm carefully selecting what to remove.

I'm afraid I'm not sure exactly how to accomplish your suggestion Brian. How would I go about compressing the trunk, or bringing the third down closer to the second section? Are you talking about adding more bend to the trunk?

I'm no expert on JBP--as Brent is--but I would absoultely NOT chop this tree. That is a great size, good movement, and more than an excellent start. It's the type of tree I would love to have because you can enjoy it in all stages of the development.

my 2 cents

Yes, "compress" the tree.

(I'm going to ignore for the moment the lowest branch - the one on the inside of the curve.)

After the second bend, try to bring that third trunk section down. You may have to resort to some heavy bending jacks. And hold it down using guy wires. I also suggest when you bend it down, don't just bring it down, bring it FORWARD, toward the front of the tree. This foreshortens the tree. It makes it look shorter than it actually is.

If you look at photos of the great Japanese trees, all we see it the view from the front. What you don't see is how much they lean towards the front. They "bow" towards the viewer. Very often, the apex of the tree is forward of the edge of the pot.

So bending that third section down and forward would really shorten it, and improve it.

That's great material! You need to get it all wired up.

Back
Top Bottom