My First Bench is Working Nicely

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I started bonsai last year with one tree, a juniper Procumbens, and now I have 42 trees (nearly all purchased as raw nursery material/stock and pruned & style myself w/. a few mini juniper exceptions but shaped and styled myself). The bench was much needed!

IMG_5894.jpeg
IMG_5908.jpeg
Approaching full sun by 11AM and through the afternoon. I think this will work perfectly.

Materials:

9 cinder blocks
Grey spray paint
6 pcs 4x4x8 severe weather treated wood
1 roll construction mesh across surface
6 flat pavers

Last edited:
I started bonsai last year with one tree, a juniper Procumbens, and now I have 42 trees (nearly all purchased as raw nursery material/stock and pruned & style myself w/. a few mini juniper exceptions but shaped and styled myself). The bench was much needed!

View attachment 546343
View attachment 546344
Approaching full sun by 11AM and through the afternoon. I think this will work perfectly.

Materials:

9 cinder blocks
Grey spray paint
6 pcs 4x4x8 severe weather treated wood
1 roll construction mesh across surface
6 flat pavers

Yea it looks good. Much better to get the pots off the ground.
I had to my low benches taller because I had one of my dogs take it upon himself to help me with pruning

Like the idea, but there's some issues you should think about:

If that site gets full afternoon sun, I would move it away from the wall. This summer, that wall will act as a mirror, reflecting the heat onto your trees. Additionally the house mass acts as a "heat sink" in the summer--absorbing heat and giving it off overnight- in other words, you're compounding possible heat issues. That can be pretty damaging to back branches up against the house.

Also the benches are far too low IMO. At that height, not only can dogs use your trees for a restroom, it also makes the trees more accessible to wildlife in general. Also I've had newly repotted trees killed by water splashing up off the ground and into pots during summer thunderstorms--that splashed water can bring fungal and bacterial infections with it from the surrounding soil-newly repotted trees have compromised, wounded root systems that can be more vulnerable to that kind of thing. Lost a couple of terrific stock trees to that a few years ago. Still kicking myself.

Stack cinder blocks at least two high on their sides or on their faces surfaces, not vertically. Vertical placement is more unstable. Also width of the shelves becomes an issue as you progress. These are far too narrow for any larger bonsai 24" wide is a good width to shoot for, 24-30 inches high is a height to shoot for.

Like the idea, but there's some issues you should think about:

If that site gets full afternoon sun, I would move it away from the wall. This summer, that wall will act as a mirror, reflecting the heat onto your trees. Additionally the house mass acts as a "heat sink" in the summer--absorbing heat and giving it off overnight- in other words, you're compounding possible heat issues. That can be pretty damaging to back branches up against the house.

Also the benches are far too low IMO. At that height, not only can dogs use your trees for a restroom, it also makes the trees more accessible to wildlife in general. Also I've had newly repotted trees killed by water splashing up off the ground and into pots during summer thunderstorms--that splashed water can bring fungal and bacterial infections with it from the surrounding soil-newly repotted trees have compromised, wounded root systems that can be more vulnerable to that kind of thing. Lost a couple of terrific stock trees to that a few years ago. Still kicking myself.

Stack cinder blocks at least two high on their sides or on their faces surfaces, not vertically. Vertical placement is more unstable. Also width of the shelves becomes an issue as you progress. These are far too narrow for any larger bonsai 24" wide is a good width to shoot for, 24-30 inches high is a height to shoot for.
Much appreciated on your feedback. Here is the bench before the trees:

IMG_0388.jpeg

Are you recommending one cinder block higher? Also, is 6” distance between house and benches not enough regarding heat?

I hesitate with an adjustment because we worked hard to get it level due to the slope closer to the porch, but I understand what you’re saying. Hmmm..

Much appreciated on your feedback. Here is the bench before the trees:

View attachment 546400

Are you recommending one cinder block higher? Also, is 6” distance between house and benches not enough regarding heat?

I hesitate with an adjustment because we worked hard to get it level due to the slope closer to the porch, but I understand what you’re saying. Hmmm..
I would raise the bench at least another cinder block, two would be better. Optimally, I'd raise the shelf to hip level. Low placement makes you stoop down to see what's going on with the trees. Viewing them from above can make seeing developing issues hard.

As for the distance from the wall, the further away, the better. The wall is basically a kind of mirror for sunlight and its heat, and can harm foliage in the summer. More space means more air circulation around the trees that can help dissipate that added heat.

Do not discount that trees against a wall or fence only have light from one side and will usually grow much more on the side away from the wall. Trees kept close to a solid surface need to be turned 180 degrees every week or so to maintain healthy branches and foliage on all sides.
In addition trees toward the rear will also receive some shade from the pots and trees in front, even though you have arranged them smaller toward the front. I know my trees suffer from being too close together so this is a definitely a case of do as I say, not as I do.
I'll also endorse the higher benches ideal where possible for all the reasons mentioned above.

Great starting idea but that looks like it gonna hurt your back - I like to have the benches so the tree's are semi eye level - and it's a bit over crowded - pests and diseases can spread fast this way if they are all connected like that - also this kind of comes with time but you want to have each one kind of in it's own display space. Your in the "gotta catch them all" phase of bonsai.

FWIW, these are great benches--Not really cheap, but will last quite a while (I have a friend who has used them for bonsai for a dozen years now). Get the 30" legs on what you choose--I have two of the 66" x 24" version. These are called "dunnage shelves" in the retail biz and they're used at nurseries. Simple set-up, uncomplicated and durable.

Looking good. I too vote for benchtops about 3-3.5 feet high. Better for your back, less trouble with bugs and my most important factor............ the trees are right there where I can enjoy them. It's an art, for goodness sake. I love to be immersed in my art.

Back
Top Bottom