My Display at the NJ Art of Bonsai Show 2024

The main things that I was thinking of when putting together the display, and what was noticed by the judges were as follows:

1. The pitch pine is a good tree, but it has only been refined for the past two seasons. While I am very happy with its quick development, it is still not fully refined. For this reason, I left as much foliage on the tree as I possibly could to compensate.

2. Because it is not a "finished" tree, I thought it would benefit from being in a three point display to give it more visual impact.

3. In this display there is a ton of variety to make it interesting. Yamadori/imported tree, conifer/decidious, oval pot/rectangle pot/circular pot, textured unglazed pot/smooth glazed pot/painted pot, tall rectangular stand/low slab, dark main stand/light supporting stand, main tree that points to the right/supporting tree that points to the left, etc.

Last edited:
Great tree and congrats on the award! I really like the 3 point display and I think you used it well. I am trying to create more small trees so I can play around with 3 point as well. I hope I can see another display from you 5 years from now, I bet it will be even better.

Great tree and congrats on the award! I really like the 3 point display and I think you used it well. I am trying to create more small trees so I can play around with 3 point as well. I hope I can see another display from you 5 years from now, I bet it will be even better.
I am glad to hear that! Thank you!!!!

Congrats! You’ve done really well. I wouldn’t have thought of that accent plant, but I think it works well and you’ve pulled it off nicely.

Nice looking display! Trees still need some more work. When that trident gets even better it's gonna be hard to keep using it as a compagnon I think?
I don't understand some other trees been shown there.. This Acer for example, looks like it suffered some serious damage and shouldn't be presented (not even looking at the alu wire still there)

33.jpg

Nice looking display! Trees still need some more work. When that trident gets even better it's gonna be hard to keep using it as a compagnon I think?
I don't understand some other trees been shown there.. This Acer for example, looks like it suffered some serious damage and shouldn't be presented (not even looking at the alu wire still there)

33.jpg
I think you have that flipped around. Once the pitch pine develops more, it will not need a companion because it will be big and developed enough to display on its own at around 30 inches tall. Smaller trees are shown in 3, 5, or 7 point displays so they have the same visual impact as one big tree.

The interesting thing about this show is that there is an open and a novice category. My display, and maple forest you showed are both from that category. These are people who have never won an award, or gotten an invitation to The Nationals. These are people learning how to display like the "big dogs." Now that I won an award, next year I have to display in the open category.

I will not comment on someone else's display, because I did not judge the show. Mr. Valavanis already gave the tree you posted a critique.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240722_103428_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240722_103428_Chrome.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 34
I think you have that flipped around. Once the pitch pine develops more, it will not need a companion because it will be big and developed enough to display on its own at around 30 inches tall. Smaller trees are shown in 3, 5, or 7 point displays so they have the same visual impact as one big tree.

The interesting thing about this show is that there is an open and a novice category. My display, and maple forest you showed are both from that category. These are people who have never won an award, or gotten an invitation to The Nationals. These are people learning how to display like the "big dogs." Now that I won an award, next year I have to display in the open category.

I will not comment on someone else's display, because I did not judge the show. Mr. Valavanis already gave the tree you posted a critique.
Well yes, the Pitch pine won't need it anymore as support, but the Trident will be too good as a companion and will be used in a shohin/chuhin display (depending on its size at that point)

I was just wondering about the Acer because I have only seen images from Bill's blog post and there was no mention about it being in a 'novice' category.
On the contrary, the accompanying text states 45 fine bonsai, well refined,...
The stars of the exhibition were about 45 fine bonsai from the local members as well as others from Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, New York and Connecticut. Many of the distinctives bonsai were well refined and would be suitable for display in the National Bonsai Exhibition. This year the organizers emphasized the bonsai display compositions, as well as the individual beauty of each tree. All the bonsai were well spaced, sitting on display tables with accessory plantings. Several hanging scrolls were used to enhance the beauty of the trees and suggest seasonality.

I understand there will be people who have never exhibited before (I haven't either) and there has to be a first time for everything, but at least I know my trees are far from ready and I won't display them untill they are ready.
A tree with wire and 60% damaged leaves on display? Novice or not, seems like bad idea and will set a bad example imo

Where did he post this?

I have not posted a lot about this imported trident because it just came to my collection this spring. It was not super vigerous when I first got it, so this whole season has been spent on rehab.

I named this sumo trident "Tochinoshin" after my favorite sumo wrestler that retired around the time that I got it. It is planted in a Shibakatsu pot that I ordered from Japan.
View attachment 558934
can I ask where you imported it from? it's beautiful!

I like the soft lines on your pine. Nice work!

Its great that you had so much space to work with… we pack them in a bit more at my local show

I like the soft lines on your pine. Nice work!

Its great that you had so much space to work with… we pack them in a bit more at my local show
Thank you for noticing that, good eye! Accentuating the soft lines of the trunk was one of my main goals in its first styling.
20231112_150845.jpg

There were some trees that were packed in 100%! I planned ahead, and reserved my space 5 months ahead so I wouldn't have this issue. All the procrastinators got the shoe horn 😅

Back
Top Bottom