M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sweet dog.
You're moving in leaps and bounds in training.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sweet dog.
You're moving in leaps and bounds in training.
Thanks. I think I'm doing ok. Whatever leaps and bounds there is it's from my dog. I just hired another trainer. The videos I use are good, but they dont correct me when I make mistakes. My first trainer is apparently badass and well known around here, but I wasn't progressing. My technique has been mediocre. My latest trainer actually looks up to the other trainer, but training methods are different. This new guy is fine tuning me. Which makes me wonder about my bonsai, how much improvement I could have from working with a pro and entering shows in the future if I choose so.

I think I'm learning new awesome things now, and it's helping with my dog's engagement. Training so much more fun because of that for me. My dog's going to be happier, and we're gonna be badass together as we continue our work.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
>I find challenging things to help build his confidence and trust in me.

If you personally like climbing on crap, that's fine. But if you're hoping there is some profound results from this, I wouldn't hold your breath. They aren't human kids where there is years and years of brain and character development you can screw up some way. Their metabolism runs hot, they are dead in ten years, and all the developmental milestones are pretty much over. He had his cuddle time with litter mates, he's seen some more of the world with you, and that's that. The rest is his DNA.

And if he doesn't like hissing brakes, that's probably just him at this point. No big deal. Getting him over to any significant degree would would be a process, and the results fragile.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
>I find challenging things to help build his confidence and trust in me.

If you personally like climbing on crap, that's fine. But if you're hoping there is some profound results from this, I wouldn't hold your breath. They aren't human kids where there is years and years of brain and character development you can screw up some way. Their metabolism runs hot, they are dead in ten years, and all the developmental milestones are pretty much over. He had his cuddle time with litter mates, he's seen some more of the world with you, and that's that. The rest is his DNA.

And if he doesn't like hissing brakes, that's probably just him at this point. No big deal. Getting him over to any significant degree would would be a process, and the results fragile.
Thank you, @A. Gorilla.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
IMG_20180808_202149_235.jpg
We've gotten off leash the past few weeks. Loose leash getting better. Sharpening up on obedience. Went on a group walk with other dogs and their handlers and he handled it well.

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
He' a fast learner but definitely can be a problem if he's allowed to become one.

I recommend an owner study the origins of their breed. Why was this breed created? What work did they do that the breed became popular? Why did this particular personality become attractive to breeders and owners?
In general, ALL DOGS NEED A JOB. If a dog does not have a clearly defined job (work), there might be behavior problems, especially in certain breeds. This is the reason it's so critical for us, as owners, to be certain we provide work, which provides mental stimulation to our dogs. You've made a great choice to get advice and training from someone who knows and has experience with the Belgian Malinois.
Now, I'll anticipate the comments that will tell us someone has a dog whose job it is to sleep or eat. If that pet is well behaved, that's great. No problem. However, if there are behavior problems, the first of many questions to ask is, what is the breed (or what is the predominant breed?)? You can't usually make a sheep herding dog out of a poodle. But because they were initially bred for hunting, they still have the hunting instinct and a poodle might be interested in tracking instead of chasing your cat.
My Australian Shepherd doesn't have an opportunity to herd. She has the instinct and that's why she tries to move the toddler grandchildren to one part of the yard. She does love agility training. Many of the moves are similar to what her body would do if she were herding. After a workout, she's definitely calmer.
A defined job reduces stress in most dogs. They know where they are supposed to be and what they are supposed to do. This, as well as a set routine in the household, will create the best environment for success.
You are on the right track for certain.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted here. He's 2 years old now. So much more I learned about handling a malinois. Over the last year, the guy's defense drive spiked and I wasn't sure what to do. I met a trainer through a local K9 club I got involved in a decoy, and I found out I did some things wrong and some out of order.

Anyways the boy became so defensive, car rides and walks became stressful situations for me. Things are a lot better now since we worked on me becoming a better dog handler and also building up his engagement and ball drive. Still more improvement to go. He is still reactive with strange dogs.
FB_IMG_1575307249566.jpg

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What did you do "wrong"?

I'm kinda skeptical of that train of thought (broadly), especially with your degree of attention.

Kinda like the axiom that the shaking cur in the shelter "must have been abused". More likely, it was pain in the ass fearful dog from birth who nipped kids and freaked out from plain old shit genes. Meanwhile you have these hard headed high energy dogs who probably WERE abused (by weak dog standards) because of their energy and drive and yet they are still generally friendly and confident (if not a handful for an average dog owner).

Ive said it before...there isn't 18 years of brain growth in these things. They are born, grow fast, and act out their instincts and die in 10 years.

I really doubt you had any negative influence on his temperment.

Malinois were not bred on the basis of compatibility with dog parks. So...who gives a damn about dog buddies. Just manage his environment.

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's been a while since I posted here
I was wondering about you guys just the other day.
Glad to see you're getting things in hand.
Too bad we don't live closer.
It sounds like Robert could use a buddy.
Old Rupert would set him right.
He plays rough and for hours and wears all other dogs right out.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I knew they were smart but I didn't know they were smart enough to mobilize their territory.
Pissing on a tumbleweed.....

Who's playing guitar for that song?

Sorce

Top Bottom