My best bonsai advice for 2019

Not at all.

But, if you need to tighten the wires after the fact, a trick is to grab the wire running under the pot with a pair of pliers, and giving it a twist. That should tighten it up.

Going back to the time of the original potting, I tie my trees in so that they do not move at all. I could grab the trunk of the tree, and pick up the whole thing, and it not wiggle. (Don’t do that!)

Thank you Adair. I do that too, both twisting underneath when loose and tying down securely, but I was hoping you knew a trick against the loosening. Apparently you are doing the trick already as yours do not loosen. Now lets see if I can find that out too. Thank you :)

Read and re-read, follow and appreciate the advice and instruction, so generously offered by the many talented and experienced people here.

Thank you Adair. I do that too, both twisting underneath when loose and tying down securely, but I was hoping you knew a trick against the loosening. Apparently you are doing the trick already as yours do not loosen. Now lets see if I can find that out too. Thank you :)
Maybe your tie-down wire isn’t thick enough?

Here’s how I and a lot of others secure a tree to its pot. They don’t, and should never move by the time they’re tied in.
https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2016/02/27/preparing-a-pot-draft/
Pull 1 to 2, twist it tight with pliers, pull 2 to 3, twist it tight, 3 to 4, and 4 to 5 behind the trunk.
When you repot next, cut the wires under the pot at the holes, unpot the tree, and find one wire. Cut it, grab an end with pliers, and pull straight out while turning the root ball. The whole remaining assembly comes out in one piece.
74BB2AB5-79D6-48F2-8DB3-ED12D87F1ECB.jpeg55726E12-BA09-433C-B20D-C421CB0A8013.jpeg

Here’s how I and a lot of others secure a tree to its pot. They don’t, and should never move by the time they’re tied in.
Pull 1 to 2, twist it tight with pliers, pull 2 to 3, twist it tight, 3 to 4, and 4 to 5 behind the trunk.
When you repot next, cut the wires under the pot at the holes, unpot the tree, and find one wire. Cut it, grab an end with pliers, and pull straight out while turning the root ball. The whole remaining assembly comes out in one piece.
View attachment 222046View attachment 222047
That’s the way I do it too. Makes a cage around rootball. And no wires showing.

That’s the way I do it too. Makes a cage around rootball. And no wires showing.

Hi Adair M,
If I only own cheap pots with drainage holes only, does the same system apply? Or how would you suggest doing it then?
Charles

With two hole pots, you can’t go to the corners. Run two wires, one wire does one side, the second wire does the other.

4 hole pots, do just like Brian’s.

3 hole, make a triangular cage.

One hole pots are tricky. Wrap two wires around a heavy wire that’s the anchor across the bottom. Then bring all 4 wires up thru the bottom, then one pair goes for each side.

Sometimes, you may have to insert a chopstick into the rootball, then run the wire over chopstick if there’s no heavy roots on one side of the rootball.

Yamadori with damaged nebari can be difficult. Sometimes you have to prop them up with blocks.

It CAN be an engineering challenge sometimes!

One more method: “The Hooker!”

This can be used on shohin:

Put the tree in the pot, on the mound of soil, and press it into place. Then take a heavy wire, and using the wire cutters, sharpen one end. Then, come from underneath the pot, up thru a drain hole, up thru the rootball, and break thru to above the surface. Then, use your pliers to make an upside down U with about an inch of the wire. Position it ov a root, then pull the wire back down from below the bottom of the pot. Pull it tight, then bend the wire across the bottom of the pot. Repeat for the other hole(s). This isn’t as secure as other methods, but can be useful for shohin.

I do that too, both twisting underneath when loose and tying down securely, but I was hoping you knew a trick against the loosening. Apparently you are doing the trick already as yours do not loosen
Maarten, could it be that you put too much substrate below the roots, which move around? Or the rootball is not very strong?

Maybe your tie-down wire isn’t thick enough?

I use 2.5 mm, except for smaller trees for which I use 2 mm. It's been said that could be used to tie down an elephant :)
What diameter wire do you use for tying down?

View attachment 222046View attachment 222047

Brian your blog actually has been a huge help in doing tying down right. That 5th wire is smart and the whole assembly coming out with just one pull is pretty cool too!
Thank you :)

Maarten, could it be that you put too much substrate below the roots, which move around? Or the rootball is not very strong?

Yes that might be it, I will definitely pay attention to that next time. Are you coming to de winterbomenpresentatie this saturday at TJ's by the way?

Back
Top Bottom