My 1st post & our flower-bed acer discovery

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and haven't had any bonsai since I was a teenager, so please excuse me if my lingo and knowledge is a little rusty.

Anyway, Just wanted to say hello and share a pic of this quarky little Acer I found growing in the flowerbed at the home we moved into recently. I was thinking it my be worth saving and shaping into a windswept style bonsai. Otherwise it was going into the compost pile :(

What do you think? Is it a good start? I thought it had some nice character already at the base of the trunk and further up where the lead branch takes over. Looking fwd to your feedback :)

1078ade6-72de-4ad1-9f8c-e828dc380427_zps85d65706.jpg

Welcome...This little tree is quite a ways away from any kind of bonsai training. The best answer is to plant it in a large pot with good drainage or back in the ground for about 4-5 more years. Then you will have something to work with. I realize that this is not the answer you might be looking for. However, it is an honest one and in the best interest of the tree.

Rob

This looks to me like red maple (acer rubrum). It is difficult material to work into convincing bonsai. It's especially difficult in smaller sizes, as it tends to push very long gawky twigging. The smaller the trunk, the more things look strange.

To be most effective with red maple, you have to start with a pretty substantial trunk, like something 6 inches plus in diameter and aim for a taller image, like over 24" tall. That gets things more in proportion with the species' habits.

Thanks for the feeback guys. I just finished reading Walter Pall's 3-part article on yamadori and now it's obvious I have a lot to learn about selecting from the wild...and yes, probably bonsai in general.

I'll put this little guy back in the ground :)

In digging material up from the wild, you're after stuff that has character and some size.

The tendency for those just starting out is to think really small in terms of material. That can be difficult, since the smaller the tree, the more skill needed to make it into bonsai--less of everything to work with--smaller trunk, less roots, less leaves, etc. Care is also more difficult for smaller trees, as since they have smaller pots and less soil, they are more demanding when it comes to watering. They're also more quickly affected by disease--less plant, less time a bug or fungus needs to affect it.

Think BIGGER by at least five or six times (or even bigger) the size of this tree when collecting stuff. Don't be concerned with a possible candidate plant's initial height. It will be reduced substantially. FWIW, I've dug 30' tall bald cypress and cut them back to 36" in preparation for making them into bonsai. You're after TRUNKS when collecting trees.

In collecting from the wild, you're after only the bottom third of a tree's trunk (pines excepted). If the first 12-24 inches of a tree's trunk has interesting qualities like good "movement" or fine bark and/or nice root spread, the rest can be worked out. New branches and canopies, for the most part, are completely regrown on trees that have been cut back severely at collection.

For the most part, ignore seedlings. They're not really suitable for bonsai work. They're nice to collect and grow out, but for the most part, you won't be "bonsai" them for a decade or more.

Below is an example of what to look for when searching in the woods. It is a bittersweet vine that was 50' up an oak tree. In early April, I cut its roots and chopped the top off and put it in a container. The species is a strong grower and it is currently pushing new buds. I plan to allow it to grow without any work this year and probably the next to gain strength. The new buds will develop into the bases for a new set of branches in the coming years.

This is an easy species to dig, as are wild wisteria, any elm species, Carolina hornbeam, and a few others that live in your area. If you're interested in collecting, get a species guide for your region, learn what your local species look like and where they grow. The best time to find potential candidates is in late winter, when there are no leaves and the insect and reptile population is asleep.

Lastly, get a copy of Nick Lenz' "Bonsai From the Wild." Although he focuses on Northeastern and Western U.S. species, his advice on how to dig trees is about the most accurate out there. Collection advise in most bonsai books is crap, written by people who don't really have experience digging wild trees. What you read in most bonsai books completely breaks down when you actually dig a tree.

Attachments

• IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0632.jpg
    IMG_0632.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 46
Photo0263.jpg

if you like it, that's all that matters.

here is a little red maple i dug up from the garden in the same way. one year i dug up about a dozen of them. i don't care what the bonsai people think because i like them just fine ;)

small trees like this are often grouped together to make a forest image

"if you like it, that's all that matters."

Expanding your view of what will work expands the chances of what you may like...

"if you like it, that's all that matters."

Expanding your view of what will work expands the chances of what you may like...

expanding possibilities isn't such a bad thing. neither is being picky about "what works" for you personally. two ends of the spectrum.

"expanding possibilities isn't such a bad thing. neither is being picky about "what works" for you personally. two ends of the spectrum."

I'm not being picky about what works for me. Red maple is not real good material, ask anyone that's worked with them. Nine out of ten will tell you the same. It's not me...

That's really beside the point in what I'm trying to convey. Most beginners see small maples, or whatever like this and instantly think "bonsai" because, it's small. What I'm saying is think again. Size is not the determining factor on what will work. Look at larger trees to begin with, not smaller. If you've taken offense to my advice on expanding the scope of what someone might consider bonsai material, I apologize.

"expanding possibilities isn't such a bad thing. neither is being picky about "what works" for you personally. two ends of the spectrum."

I'm not being picky about what works for me. Red maple is not real good material, ask anyone that's worked with them. Nine out of ten will tell you the same. It's not me...

That's really beside the point in what I'm trying to convey. Most beginners see small maples, or whatever like this and instantly think "bonsai" because, it's small. What I'm saying is think again. Size is not the determining factor on what will work. Look at larger trees to begin with, not smaller. If you've taken offense to my advice on expanding the scope of what someone might consider bonsai material, I apologize.

no need to apologize. i agree with what you say completely. rubrum is an inferior species, in bonsai terms, so it's wise (probably) to not expect much. sorry for the confusion :eek:

Back
Top Bottom