Moving from NYC to San Diego, do I leave the deciduous trees behind?

If you drive to California, and the trees are in the rear passenger seat, just throw a towel or blanket over them and forget about the Ag Inspection. Chances are 98% that nobody will notice. Key is you only have 6 trees.

If you do want to go the Ag Inspection route - list these as HOUSEPLANTS, don't cloud the issue by calling them bonsai. The regulations for houseplants are looser than for anything the would be grown outdoors or as a commercial crop.

Check State of California Agriculture Department website, look up the regulations for bringing in houseplants. Personal houseplants, not houseplants from a commercial vendor.

The odd box sent USPS or FedEx, or whatever, contents - clothing or household goods. Chances of getting inspected are minimal.

Leave the larch, the rest will do fine.

If you really want to get a Phytosanitary Certificate, every international airport has a APHIS office, part of USDA / Dept of Commerce. You can bring the trees to the airport. Have them inspected and a certificate issued on the spot. There will be a fee. I forget, I haven't done it in years. I remember $50 but that was back in 2006. I was sending orchids to Nepal.

At the time of inspection they should be bare root, washed of any visible soil. You can transport them wrapped in clean, moist long fiber sphagnum moss. Keep them in moss until you get to new home in California, then transplant into locally purchased bonsai soil.
That's a bunch of bad ideas. There are very good reasons why you are not supposed to take (forbidden)plants from outside citrus growing states to them. Bugs and invisible organisms that you are taking from the north to the endless summer. These same pests are controlled by weather in the north and can go nuts in the environment with no winter kill and/or natural enemies. Ask yourself, "Do I want to be responsible for a new infestation of gnat that can destroy the farms of California in order to keep my trees, or would I be more comfortable selling my trees to someone who will care for them in a place where they will thrive and take that money and buy a new group that is absolutely going to do well in my new home?"

If you tell a citrus grower in your new home that you brought your plants with you from NY, he'll probably beat you death on the spot. Karma.

Here in the Great Lakes we are dealing with fish from all over the world brought here in ballast tanks that could have been flushed at sea with salt water, but weren't because it would have been too much trouble for someone to turn on a pump in the middle of the ocean and turn it off 3 days later.

Last edited:
That's a bunch of bad ideas. There are very good reasons why you are not supposed to take (forbidden)plants from outside citrus growing states to them. Bugs and invisible organisms that you are taking from the north to the endless summer. These same pests are controlled by weather in the north and can go nuts in the environment with no winter kill and/or natural enemies. Ask yourself, "Do I want to be responsible for a new infestation of gnat that can destroy the farms of California in order to keep my trees, or would I be more comfortable selling my trees to someone who will care for them in a place where they will thrive and take that money and buy a new group that is absolutely going to do well in my new home?"

If you tell a citrus grower in your new home that you brought your plants with you from NY, he'll probably beat you death on the spot. Karma.

Here in the Great Lakes we are dealing with fish from all over the world brought here in ballast tanks that could have been flushed at sea with salt water, but weren't because it would have been too much trouble for someone to turn on a pump in the middle of the ocean and turn it off 3 days later.

Thank you for this perspective, lots of things I didn't even know to consider. I have 3 tropicals - campeche, brazilian rain tree and dorstenia in addition to the others. If I can safely bring them I will and if not I'll just start anew. I very much appreciate this insight.

I think that your move is a great time to leave your current trees behind with a fellow bonsai person in your NYC area. The great opportunity ahead of you is to start a new collection of California native trees. You'll get a fresh start. That’s fabulous. And, if starting a new job, you might find your bonsai hours are different. There are some fabulous bonsai centers and nursery businesses in the area....that a good opportunity to make new bonsai friends and relationships for tips and materials. Leave what have behind....take on new climate ready species and reignite the bonsai passion.

And, as @Forsoothe! said, you really don’t want to be the guy to bring problems. People may do that...but you know better...and can show your solidarity with the bonsai community. Think...you could possibly bring something with your trees that infects their trees. Not a good way to start.

Just so happens we have a member here that recently moved from Michigan to California.
@vancehanna
He is way up there in knowledge and will know all of the ins and outs.

California pretends to have an agricultural inspection program. If they stopped and inspected even 1 in a hundred vehicles coming into the state they would have traffic backup up for miles and miles at every entry point. I understand and support the intent, but the execution is woefully inadequate.

But they do! And it is no pretend. I have driven back and forthe across the county more than a dozen time in 50 years and you’ll find out....

Sure you can some how find a way around but if you get caught....

Back
Top Bottom