Mountain mahogany?

arcina

Mame
Reaction score
I have collected several and they are really nice to work on. The leaf size does not really get bigger and it ramifies relatively easily. The deadwood is really hard and they tolerate drought. You will get shoots from the old bark and thick branches so you can cut hard the big branches and start building ramification closer to the trunk. It has very little flowers but they look cool when the tree is covered. It is becoming my preferred species because deadwood, small leaves and strength.

The one below is one I just starting to work on. I will start cutting the big branches closer to the trunk,

00001.jpg

sdavis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have collected several and they are really nice to work on. The leaf size does not really get bigger and it ramifies relatively easily. The deadwood is really hard and they tolerate drought. You will get shoots from the old bark and thick branches so you can cut hard the big branches and start building ramification closer to the trunk. It has very little flowers but they look cool when the tree is covered. It is becoming my preferred species because deadwood, small leaves and strength.

The one below is one I just starting to work on. I will start cutting the big branches closer to the trunk,

View attachment 156383

Nice tree!
How long has it been in a container?

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...By the way, not knocking this wood in the slightest. I built a rocking chair for my father out of Sapele (Entandrophragma cylindricum) which is in the same family. I thought the grain and color was amazing.
We have had in the past two living room sofas, book case and coffee table made out of Sipo wood, similar to Sapele.
You are correct, the grain and color is amazing and I would add also the iridescence the grain is unbelievable.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mahogany

There is a 10 feet by 14 inches x 4 inch thick plant here, waiting to become furniture.

But you should also try our Cedrula from deep south, hard and rich red.
Good Day
Anthony

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
im very important. I have many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Ahh....I know that saying.

From GW2.

Too bad they ruined it with HoT

Of course its highly likely they got it from somewhere else and you have no idea what I am taking about.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ahh....I know that saying.

From GW2.

Too bad they ruined it with HoT

Of course its highly likely they got it from somewhere else and you have no idea what I am taking about.

Ron Burgandy... no idea what your talking about but now im curious.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is mountain mahogany growing here in SW Oregon. As mentioned it's usually in hard to dig areas. Rocky outcrops near the tops of the mountains. I see lots of spindly whips sticking out of the rocks, but have never dug around to see what the base looks like. I'll have to take a hike up there and do some research. Might have to make a ground layer to collect. Great, I needed another project, but I've always had an interest in this tree. Now you've brought it up you've piqued my interest. Let me just run up the mountain and see what's up.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see, in my trusty National Audubon Society field guide, that there are four Cercocarpus in the Western region of the US. We have two here in Oregon. The Birchleaf, C. betuloides, west of the Cascade Mts., and Curlleaf, C. ledifolius east of the Cascades. There's Hairy mahogany, C. breviflorus in the SW, Tex, N. Mex., Az. area. The fourth, C. traskiae is rare almost endangered and grows only on Catalina Is.. All are in the Rose family and many bonsai come out of that family.

Hannahmm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I didn't read the whole thread so I'm sorry if this was already covered. But it sounds like you have a birchleaf mountain mahogany, same family but have egg shaped leaves that are serrated towards the tip? We have curlleaf mountain mahogany growing all over just outside of my town. Good luck with it! And have fun!
I'll take a photo later today. It is truly a stick in a pot atm, but I was attracted by the small sawtooth leaves that looked a little like a grey elm leaf.

I also picked up a Holly-leaf Cherry (Prunus ilicifolia)

View attachment 156264

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here's a forest of Swietenia mahogani that I pulled as seedings/saplings in 2006 from a hedge line that was in a city park on Marco Island, FL. I don't remember what the hedge was, but these were from the surrounding trees which were handsome. I never new exactly what kind of Mahogany it was until right now. Thanks! City or commercially-maintained as opposed to gardener-maintained hedges are good collection sites for interesting seedlings. Anything growing at the base of the hedge that isn't grossly different is allowed when the guy buzzes it with electric hedge trimmers.

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
...and has a specific gravity greater than 1.0 (ie it sinks in water).
I have a little block of Lignum Vitae my dad brought back from Norfolk where he manufactured fly wheels
for ships prior to shipping out to Germany in the 40's. Basic hardness is 1.05 @12% MC (which I don't understand) is 1.26
based on the data base link you provided. It too sinks in water and they used it to launch ships on IIRC...

"Comments: Lignum Vitae is regarded by most to be both the heaviest and hardest wood in the world. Its durability in submerged or ground-contact applications is also exceptional. Lignum Vitae has been used for propeller shaft bearings on ships, and its natural oils provide self-lubrication that gives the wood excellent wear resistance.

Unfortunately, Lignum Vitae has been exploited to the brink of extinction..."
It is sold by the pound, not board foot.

Nice little link there, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

oddirt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'll take a photo later today. It is truly a stick in a pot atm, but I was attracted by the small sawtooth leaves that looked a little like a grey elm leaf.

I also picked up a Holly-leaf Cherry (Prunus ilicifolia)

View attachment 156264
@Bonsai Nut, do you have any now pics of the P ilicifolia? Did you end up bonsai’ing it? Is that actually a verb? I’ve got a few growing from seed that I want to make into fabulous formal, naturalistic style trees. Haven’t seen anyone else work with this species and am curious.

Top Bottom