misplaced concern ??

Tinyjames

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello all

I’m asking for advice on my Japanes maple. Am I looking for failure, am I showing misplaced concern with my tree as a beginner I don’t know what to except or what the tree will do. I bought this tree 14 days ago and it was showing signs of a red tinge in the upper canopy but in two weeks the tinge is growing I would say 70% of the leaves are turning a tinge of red. I am worried that the tree is distressed and slowly dying, I wouldn’t be worried about the colour of the leaves if we were going into Autum but it's the middle of summer. I water it when I think it’s needed, I fertilizer the first of the month with Naruko 5-5-5 and only a pinch.

20230711_202142.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If it was bought online that may be damage from transit that you are seeing.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like a cultivar characteristic. Many Japanese maples have red coloration in the leaves. I have one that flushes out red and those turn green and the consecutive new leaves are red with the older green leaves as a background. Not a cultivar, just an exceptional seedling.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Probably just adjustment to its new location. Tree looks fine..

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Premature coloring can be a sign of stress. The bleached leaves (turning from red to white) in the photo could be too much sun though not sure how that's possible in sunny UK. Possible lack of water at some stage combined with sun?
Stress from change of location/conditions and/or shipping could be another possible cause.

Japanese maples are not real easy as bonsai for beginners even though everyone seems to need to start with the species. Look for trident maples as a much hardier and easier to manage species to learn with.

Tinyjames

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After going to a Bonsai club tonight It was suggested to slip repot this tree to a larger pot for this year. I also informed to guest speaker that the tree had been sitting in a shaded area of 70% before I bought the tree and I have it in full sun but as we haven't had temperatures above 22 c I don't think sun damage is my main concern I have bought some shade netting of 30% plus 60% shade netting to use as a wind break.

I shall be slip repot this tree at the weekend as I don’t have any soil for it, It’s on my list of things to buy and I’m going to Greenwood bonsai gardens in Nottingham on Saturday for some supplies anyway

Reactions: AJL
Top Bottom