Middle School Bonsai Club Vandalized

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
UPDATE!!!

Well, we crushed the goal (currently $1605 in just over 24 hours) The teacher has been contacted and apparently he was moved to tears by the generosity of the bonsai community! I'm so proud of everyone and so thankful to know that such good people are out there ready to take a stand for kids and a to prop up a teacher that is just trying to make a difference. Thank you all!!!

Edit: Just saw that the school principal thanked the fund organizer also. It seems that they have all been watching the total go up all day just stunned and very thankful! I guess they have been getting phone calls from all over asking what folks could do to help and offers of more donations as well!

Last edited:

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
UPDATE!!!

Well, we crushed the goal (currently $1605 in just over 24 hours) The teacher has been contacted and apparently he was moved to tears by the generosity of the bonsai community! I'm so proud of everyone and so thankful to know that such good people are out there ready to take a stand for kids and a to prop up a teacher that is just trying to make a difference. Thank you all!!!

Edit: Just saw that the school principal thanked the fund organizer also. It seems that they have all been watching the total go up all day just stunned and very thankful! I guess they have been getting phone calls from all over asking what folks could do to help and offers of more donations as well!

That's awesome.
This is the first I'd seen the post so I went from the sadness of reading all about it, to seeing them go much higher than the goal.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I had sent an email of support to the teacher. He said the response has been overwhelming - and it has had a profound impact not only on himself and his students, but on the school as a whole.

Sounds like the bonsai club will not only have enough money to cover their operating costs, but they will be able to make a few modest improvements to their greenhouse.

I wish I owned a commercial pre-bonsai nursery. I'd love to be able to provide 24 small pre-bonsai trees each year to a school bonsai program.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I had sent an email of support to the teacher. He said the response has been overwhelming - and it has had a profound impact not only on himself and his students, but on the school as a whole.

Sounds like the bonsai club will not only have enough money to cover their operating costs, but they will be able to make a few modest improvements to their greenhouse.

I wish I owned a commercial pre-bonsai nursery. I'd love to be able to provide 24 small pre-bonsai trees each year to a school bonsai program.

This is exactly what I was hoping for. We do so much squabbling among ourselves that it's good to have a common cause to rally behind. Plus as a teacher I can tell you at the end of the year you are just so tired... You are ready to just give up anyway and then to have someone do this to a thing you were doing for free in your spare time... well for a lot of teachers it would be enough to push them right over the edge. The teacher is discouraged the kids are discouraged...

Then comes reinforcements!!!

This is the kind of giving that's fun.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I live in DuPont, just South of you. Could I donate trees? I may be moving soon and would love to see my stuff passed on to people who care. Let me know and I will drive it up.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Nut: Can you pass along the email address?

Reaction score
The response was fantastic (I'm not a regular reader/participant so I just found out). Fortunately I don't have to live with only the hateful image of a cut down tree but I know about the great response too.

Has anyone learned anything about any possible perpetrator? I'm not going down the rabbit hole of a search- I have plants of my own in need of attention.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I missed that thread in May, and now it seems donations are closed but I would have gladly contributed.

I'm a teacher myself, and now I teach in an upper secondary school, but for ten years, I taught in a suburban area. Lots of second or third generation immigrants, a majority of people living below the poverty line, and all that combined meant regular problems. Yet, the staff was great ("Liberals" ?...) and we did a lot of great things together. Took pupuils to Britain for the first time of their life after scrapping every funding we could get to make everyone go, even those with a "funny" passport. And my, they cried when getting back on the bus. Respect, that's what we shared.

I couldn't do anything for the girl who was a real nuisance to all of us, a real pain in the neck. I learned that... Well, you can't imagine what a teeanger in a class of 25 can live when she leaves school.

Well, after that trip, she changed. What you provide for these kids is a different point of view of the adults and the institution.

Resilience : that's probably what you can teach them. Make the best of what's left after a disaster, life goes on, life is beautiful.

At least, fortunately, there was no trigger-happy vigilante when those stupid vandals came.

I don't believe in Paradise, or Hell, and I don't wish death on anyone.

I believe in Man, in education, I believe in pushing a little grain of sand every day, even if the winds are at odds.

I gave a couple of trees to a "forum friend" who was a prison warden and started a bonsai club for short-term inmates. That's the things we must do instead of "hanging" them or sending them to "Hell" (a place that don't exist, except here, on earth).

PS: "Lots of second or third generation immigrants" : don't misunderstand me. In France, one out of four people have at least one grandparent who was a foreigner. Like me, 100% French, and 100% genetically "gural", happy to live in the country of the Enlightment, where religions don't (or rtaher mustn't) interfere with Republican values. The earth is not flat, Adam and Eve didn't have sex on the back of a dinosaur...

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
"girl who was a real nuisance" you tell her to stop bothering everyone or your dropping her off in the ghetto. Problem gets solved one way or another.

Trigger-happy vigilante? If you shoot someone for breaking some trees and a shed you will be the one going to jail for a LONG time. Unfortunately the USA is not the wild west anymore where one can protect one's property.

The criminals that did this need a devastating ass kicking to set them straight. Just a couple broken legs would probably teach them a valuable life correcting lesson. :D

Funny passports? Just what are you teaching to those students?

Dinosaurs? Religion? Flat Earth?!?! Good for you.
Have fun staying behind with the other soulless minions of orthodoxy. This Earth will soon run out of Saturn's light energy so-called global warming is a sign of the light energy running low. When the energy runs out it will cause a catastrophe where this place will be smashed by the earth directly above us and the earth directly below us. :p

Top Bottom